• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Open Letter to Nikon Service - Thank You! (1 Viewer)

jourdaj

Dear Nikon Service,

In early January I sent in a pair of Nikon Premier 10X42 LX binoculars for refurbishing. I have had these binoculars since 2003 and for the first 10 years they were my constant companion. They had since been relegated to backseat car use and have seen their share of wear. I was happily surprised when I received notice from you that there wouldn't be any charge for service on them since they had come with a lifetime warranty.
Yesterday I received a brand new pair of Nikon Monarch HG 10X42 binoculars with a note saying that the Premier LX could not be serviced to Nikon's quality. To say that I am thrilled and impressed with Nikon's commitment to service is an understatement. These new binoculars are beautifully sharp and significantly lighter than the Premier. They are a joy to use.

I wish to say Thank You. And, to let you know that you will continue to be highly recommended to all individuals who ask for my recommendation for high quality optics.

Respectfully,

Jerry Jourdan
birdingthroughglass.blogspot.com

I'm tickled for you. Not my (or several acquaintances) experiences with Nikon warranty or CS, but maybe it's on an upswing.

Nikon Service

I'm tickled for you. Not my (or several acquaintances) experiences with Nikon warranty or CS, but maybe it's on an upswing.

Maybe, perhaps, same thing with the SE 12X50 I sent in, I would not take a MHG 10X42 as a replacement. At least as a porro prism the SE can be serviced outside Nikon.

Andy W.

What happened to your SE when you sent it to Nikon? Im hoping to send my 8x32SE for service.

Yogi

Hi Yogi,

IMO all of Nikon's Classic Porro prism binoculars; (the 8 and 10x30 EIIs and the 8x32 SE and 10x42 SE and 12x50 SE) should be sent to Professionals like Cory Suddarth for servicing.

https://suddarthoptical.com/

Nikon doesn't make the SEs any more and getting parts for them may be a problem. I also have not heard any reports about Nikon undertaking repairs of the SEs or EIIs "in house."

I had a 3 year old 10x32 EDG I (Early USA Double Hinged Version) which had a covering that was bubbling and coming loose and Nikon replaced it with a new 10x32 EDG II which I still use often.

Nikon also replaced my new Monarch 8x42 HG with new one after 1 month because of a wandering diopter. I have been using the replacement for nearly 2 years with no problems.

Bob

Last edited:
Nikon is not what it used to be, I own a few of their premier glass that is not made anymore and I really like them, however replacing older premium glass with a Monarch HG is laughable, the HG is a decent glass but it is not an SE or an EDG, in a lot of ways it is not even a mid range performer. Frankly the Meopta Meostar is IMHO a much better glass for the money.

Nikon Customer Service is not really customer service at all, no knowledgeable personnel, canned responses and replace everything with a Monarch HG. Frankly, everything in sport optics is likely made in China.

Andy W.

Nikon is not what it used to be, I own a few of their premier glass that is not made anymore and I really like them, however replacing older premium glass with a Monarch HG is laughable, the HG is a decent glass but it is not an SE or an EDG, in a lot of ways it is not even a mid range performer. Frankly the Meopta Meostar is IMHO a much better glass for the money.

Nikon Customer Service is not really customer service at all, no knowledgeable personnel, canned responses and replace everything with a Monarch HG. Frankly, everything in sport optics is likely made in China.

Andy W.

Andy,

I wouldn't trade my Nikon SEs for a Monarch HG either but at least Nikon can make an offer like this. What will Swarovski give you for a damaged Habicht? Did you notice that Suddarth Optics is now the place in the USA where you send the Habichts for work?

https://suddarthoptical.com/

"S.O.R. is now the official repair service reference for Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena and Swarovski Habicht. The optical technician in Austria no longer services Habicht binoculars."

But you can relax. The Monarch 8x42 HG I have says right on the back of the left objective tube where the Strap is attached that it is made in Japan.

As for price; at Europtics the Monarch 10x42 HG sells for about $100.00 less than the Meostar 10x42 which itself is a knock off of a Swarovski SLC.

Bob

Swarovski is not a bad company to be associated with I would think, RE Meopta.
The Hg is a decent glass, and likely the last modern glass from Nikon I will own, the replacement policy- business model seems popular these days with many companies, mainly with mid and low tier models. I consider myself lucky to own some premium Nikon glass when they actually made premium glass, (the current WX is a nice 10X50 for astro, but more of a novelty to own.

Andy W.

Bob:

This is the first that I have heard the Meopta Meostar is a knock off of the Swarovski SLC. Tell us about the
specs. and how they are similar ?

Tell about lens glass composition, coatings, optic design, etc. This would be educational.

Jerry

Bob:

This is the first that I have heard the Meopta Meostar is a knock off of the Swarovski SLC. Tell us about the
specs. and how they are similar ?

Tell about lens glass composition, coatings, optic design, etc. This would be educational.

Jerry

That's not hard Jerry! I don't care about the glass, I never used one. My Swarovski SLC 7x42 B looks like a 42mm Meostar's daddy; including its color and Diopter mechanism - except the youngster Meostar has warts on its covering. ;)

Bob

Swarovski is not a bad company to be associated with I would think, RE Meopta.
The Hg is a decent glass, and likely the last modern glass from Nikon I will own, the replacement policy- business model seems popular these days with many companies, mainly with mid and low tier models. I consider myself lucky to own some premium Nikon glass when they actually made premium glass, (the current WX is a nice 10X50 for astro, but more of a novelty to own.

Andy W.

Andy,

The Monarch HG was designated a Monarch because it was never meant to be Nikon's top of the line binocular

Prediction here:

Sometime in the reasonably near future Nikon will introduce no more than 5 new Alpha binoculars to replace the 5 EDGs. They will be conservative in their body design and in the size and design of the optics used inside those bodies, much like the old EDGs were; but everything about them will be first rate!

Bob

Bob,

No need to underline, save the labor, I am fully aware where the HG stands, (mid range). Regarding if Nikon comes out with a premium glass to replace the EDG, I highly doubt it, they never did market the EDG so they never sold many- at least here in the US.
This is their new business model, and they will likely make more $$ for their sport optics division selling the HG, after all, it is all about the money.

Andy W.

Bob,

No need to underline, save the labor, I am fully aware where the HG stands, (mid range). Regarding if Nikon comes out with a premium glass to replace the EDG, I highly doubt it, they never did market the EDG so they never sold many- at least here in the US.
This is their new business model, and they will likely make more $$ for their sport optics division selling the HG, after all, it is all about the money.

Andy W.

Andy,

For Nikon, HG originally was an abbreviation for "High Grade".

Nikon used the designation HG or HGL on all of their top of the line binoculars that they sold in Europe. The same binoculars in the USA were given the LX designation but if you purchased one in the USA the box it came in still said HG on it. So when the "light weight" versions came out in the USA the binoculars had LXL on them but they came in boxes that said HGL.

Then when the EDGs came out Nikon dropped the 10x32 HG/LXL but they retained the 8x32 and 8x42 and 10x42 versions and changed their designations to "Premier." They are all gone now and the term HG only exists to distinguish the Monarch 7's from the newer and better Monarch HGs.

I have no idea what Nikon will call its replacement of the EDG.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back