Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 16:15   #476
BA Birder2

Some useful holiday ticks from Albufera today inc pied and spotted flycatcher, redstart and our first red knobbed coots; 1 with a neck collar. Also 2 big grasshoppers. Does anyone know what species are there? WiFi not great so can't put photos on but both a good 5-7cm in length. Thanks Tom
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 16:15   #477
Benjamin Ofield

A group of about 40 Whiskered tern were briefly at the Depuradora/San Bosc area this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_161105-1209x1612.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	692993  
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 16:28   #478
Mike Montier

Hi Tom
I know very little about insects but we do have some very knowledgeable people on this thread who Iím sure can help.
As far as I know there is an Egyptian Grasshopper as in this photo. I was told itís an Egyptian locust but I really donít know. It is identified by the vertical stripes over the eye I believe so if your Grasshopper has that feature then I think thatís the one.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BA923AEE-AC97-4F98-BA36-BAC0AB3ACBAC.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	483.4 KB
ID:	692994  
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 19:19   #479
BA Birder2

Thankyou Mike. I think Egyptian grasshopper is the most likely. Tom
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 19:54   #480
Maties Rebassa

Clive, I think there are only 3 or 4 accepted records of Motacilla flava feldegg in the Balearics, but I have not exact numbers now with me. Anyway, quite a rare bird!

Today I could hear at least 2 Red throated Pipits passing in fly in 2 different places in Albufereta, so there must be some other birds migrating elsewhere. Others nice migrants too there, as Redstarts, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Whinchats, Garden Warbler, Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers, Wood Warbler, S-T Larks, etc.

Maties
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 19:54   #481
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Great day spent with Kevin the highlight being several Golden Oriole including 2 male at Son Real. Cheers mate.
Steve.
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 20:51   #482
kevinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.g. View Post
Great day spent with Kevin the highlight being several Golden Oriole including 2 male at Son Real. Cheers mate.
Steve.
Yes, great day Steve. Thanks for your company.
As well as the Orioles we also saw at least seven Woodchat shrikes, 2 Tawny pipits, Booted eagle and Marsh harrier as well as the usual birds.
We later called in to Depuradura where it was nice to bump into Clive but pretty quiet bird wise. Steve saw a Pied flycatcher and we saw a flight of 7 flamingoes flying into the reserve.
Old Yesterday, 05:25   #483
ESTEBANNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
As soon as I put the phone down, it rings again.
Reports of huge groups of Barn Swallows and Swifts.
Philip phoned to say he had just seen a White-rumped Swift in Santa PonÁa.
Phil thoroughly deserves this record. I have been birding with him from dawn until dusk and returned to his apartment exhausted but he still goes out onto the balcony in the dark to look for owls and Stone curlews. He is probably the most dedicated birder I know so there is no mistaking this record. There are I believe reports of Common Swift with partial leucism but Phil knows this is not the case with this bird so many congratulations to him.
He also saw a pair of Montaguís Harrier (a male and female) in the fields around Santa PonÁa and a Little Bittern at Golf II.
More reports to follow soon!
Mike
Mike, can you give me any more info. Quite a Mega....
Old Yesterday, 05:43   #484
ggshrike

Lost / had phone stolen on Monday so not been able to access the forum as easily as usual. Few birds from S’Albufera yesterday were Whiskered, gull billed and common tern, golden eagle ( escapee) , ospreys, glossy ibis ,red kite, collared pratincole, Garganey , flock of approx 15 night herons, whinchat, spotted flycatcher, redstart , wood warbler, plenty of very loud greAt reed warblers and again a good selection of the usuals present.

Quite surprised that not seen any of the avocet chicks being taken by the marsh harriers. As although a feisty bird and seen chase raptors off they let their chicks wander a fair distance away from any adults.
Old Yesterday, 07:32   #485
Clive Griffin

At Albufera yesterday, additional to species reported by ggshrike, there were a couple of Curlew Sandpipers, 4 or 5 Little Stint and at least 9 Ringed Plovers at Cibollar I and a few Purple Herons at Sa Roca, nice to see 4 Gargany there and the Collared Pratincole.
Old Yesterday, 07:56   #486
Clive Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maties Rebassa View Post
Clive, I think there are only 3 or 4 accepted records of Motacilla flava feldegg in the Balearics, but I have not exact numbers now with me. Anyway, quite a rare bird!

Today I could hear at least 2 Red throated Pipits passing in fly in 2 different places in Albufereta, so there must be some other birds migrating elsewhere. Others nice migrants too there, as Redstarts, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Whinchats, Garden Warbler, Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers, Wood Warbler, S-T Larks, etc.

Maties
Thanks Maties, I didn't realise the feldegg was such a rarity!
Old Yesterday, 12:58   #487
Mike Montier

A very nice morning spent at Cap de Ses Salines. We were entertained by both Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters until the Whiskered terns appeared, first a group of 4, then 72 and finally 17. All flew strongly to the east. Two Lesser black backed gulls were on rocks nearby and Swallows were all around, some rather oddly going south out to sea.
A large lark flew over but it will always be a mystery. Certainly none of the normal species.
Later at Salobrar another 19 Whiskered tern, a Sanderling in summer plumage, Redstart, Whinchat and Short-toed Larks.
Philip stayed and will report later from Eddie’s track but it was still a great time and nice to meet Peter and see Martin and Mara again.
Mike
Old Yesterday, 13:31   #488
Benjamin Ofield

Lesser Kestrel along Torrent de Sant Jordi this afternoon, plus flyover Beeeater and 2 Osprey. Also a Golden Oriole in Boquer valley.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190424_152728-599x799.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	693083  
Old Yesterday, 18:47   #489
kevinh

Depuradura this morning. 4 Garganey, 3 Whiskered terns and a Golden oriole flying over the Son Bosc track.
At Síalbufera Collared pratincole, 3 Curlew sandpipers in summer plumage were the stand out birds.
Later at Can Curassa I heard Bonellis warbler call but couldnít locate it . Also there lots of Winchats, Corn buntings, Yellow wagtails, Osprey and a Lesser kestrel on a distant pylon kindly pointed out by Pep.
Old Yesterday, 18:51   #490
Mcnswiss2

Great to be Back

Great to be back.
Even on this blustery day.
Bumped into Kevin and Pep on Can Cullerassa road; a very nice welcome back.
Short visit to S’Albuferata and Llenaire as well.
Birds seen/heard included Nightingales, Pied Flycatcher, Lesser Kestrel, Whinchats (so many), Spotless Starlings, Yellow wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Little and Ringed Plovers, Greenshank and Redshank.
Two Thekla larks also seen at Llenaire (I have never seen them so far north)
Mike

Sorry forgot the Turtle dove at S’ albafereta

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Yesterday at 20:22.
Old Yesterday, 19:42   #491
Mike Montier

The Sanderling at Salobrar today had a yellow ring on the left leg and a metal one too I believe.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BE3A423B-20AC-414F-9C01-17B8A7ED5566.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	693116  
Old Yesterday, 19:42   #492
S1D

Can Curassa track this morning 1 Turtle dove 1 Black vulture and 1 Egyptian vulture. The Pines Avenue 2 Turtle dove feeding
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN8550.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	674.6 KB
ID:	693115  
Old Yesterday, 19:49   #493
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Also saw the Egyptian Vulture at Can Cuarassa and 11 Glossy Ibis over towards Salbafereta.
At Salbafereta Wood Warbler 2 Pied Flys Water Rail.
Salbufera, 2 Whiskered Terns 3 Curlew Sands, Glossy Ibis.
Steve.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: