• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Syrphus ribesii

If I have it right this should be Syrphus ribesii. It looks like a female, the eyes are not hairy and the femora are yellow (easier to see in another less sharp picture).

I also saw Leucozona leucorum today among many other hovers that refused to sit for photos.

Attachments

• syrphus_ribesii_13may05_800.jpg
    syrphus_ribesii_13may05_800.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 674
Kevin Mac said:
Wow. So many hover flies. So many bumblebees. One of the groups that really catches my attention are robber flies. I understand they are predatory. Some of them sure look freaky with their front legs hanging down and their somewhat bucked tooth look staring at you as they hover in the middle of the road waiting to jump another insect (I presume). They are the size of a medium bumblebee. Do any of you have any expertise with these?
I'm certainly no expert. But looking in Chinery Field guide to the insects of Britain and Northern Europe, the robber-flies, Asilidae, can be distinguished by the deep groove between the eyes. You are correct in that they catch other insects, often in mid-air, and suck the juices out of them.
(Lovely!)
I believe that you call the hoverflies (Syrphidae) 'flowerflies' in N. America (and presumably Canada). You have c950 species, so I imagine that many need dissection to ID to species??
Ken

PS If anyone's interested, I see there's a hoverfly newsgroup at:
http://lists.nottingham.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/syrphidae/
in addition to the Yahoo hoverflies group.

A Real Beauty

I found this today at Morgans Hill [a Wilts Wildlife Trust downland reserve]. It's Xanthogramma citrofasciatum. It's a real cracker and one I've been looking out for since I became interested in Hoverflies. :bounce:
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Xanthogramma sp.jpg
    Xanthogramma sp.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 217
138mph said:
Hi,
One of these is Helophilus pendulus, but I don't recognise the others but they look as if they should be identifiable. I have larger images on my website:

http://www.eimagesite.net/s1/gst/run.cgi?action=images&prid=926&skrlist=926,925,924,920

Thanks in advance,
Hugh
Hello Hugh,
not a complete answer but here goes [from left to right].
Helophilus pendulus; Myathropa florea; Parahelophilus sp. [there are three species in the genus - difficult to separate, particularly females. In Stubbs and Falk they recommend catching several as there are usually more than one species flying together!]They all associate with wetland areas using eg. bulrush. Two are common[ish] the other scarce so worth trying again and maybe taking voucher specimens. Do the RSPB have a species list for the reserve?
And finally another Helophilus, probably hybridus.
It might pay to post pics of the two I'm uncertain of to the UK-Hoverflies yahoo group. Steven Falk is a member as are several other very good Hoverfly experts [I'm a beginner by comparison |:$| ]
Most hoverfly species are notoriously difficult to ID from photos I'm afraid.
HTH,
I've attached a pic of Myothropa florea I took last autumn, for interest.
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Myathropa florea.Back garden.07-09-04.jpg
    Myathropa florea.Back garden.07-09-04.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 208
Found a new species of Hoverfly [for me anyway] yesterday in some damp 'swampy' woodland near Swindon. It was Xylota segnis. The attached photo doesn't show the distinctive abdomen well as it's one of those species that always folds it's wings over it's abdomen at rest.
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Xylota segnis.jpg
    Xylota segnis.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 229
Another Myathropa florea I think plus I couple I am struggling with. A Syrphus with dark thighs and a Chrysotoxum, which I think might be intermedium but not sure. Advice?

Attachments

• myathropa_florea_28jun05_420_20.jpg
    myathropa_florea_28jun05_420_20.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 176
  • syrphus_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    syrphus_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 190
  • chrysotoxum_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    chrysotoxum_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 186
138mph said:
Hi,
I think that this is a hoverfly - any offers on an ID?
Thanks,
Hugh

Going back a few posts:
Pipiza, probably noctiluca as this is the most common species around these parts, but I'd need to see a specimen - its a tricky genus.

Neil

Last edited:
Do you fancy having a go at these?

Attachments

• syrphus_29jun05_640_20.jpg
    syrphus_29jun05_640_20.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 196
  • chrysotoxum_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    chrysotoxum_29jun05_420_20.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 230
Are these Eupodes luniger and Sphaerophoria scripta?

Attachments

• eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20a.jpg
    eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 183
  • eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20b.jpg
    eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20b.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 213
  • eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20c.jpg
    eupodes_luniger_30jul05_420_20c.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 181
  • sphaerophoria_2aug05_420_20a.jpg
    sphaerophoria_2aug05_420_20a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 188
  • sphaerophoria_2aug05_420_20b.jpg
    sphaerophoria_2aug05_420_20b.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 166
Volucella zonaria and another Chrysotoxum

A couple more from a weekend near Winchester, which provided a few hoverfly and cricket firsts for me.

I think the first of these is Volucella zonaria, a large hornet mimic. The reddish thoracic dorsum and scutellum are indicative even if the size isn't obvious.

The secon is a Chrysotoxum species, perhaps arcuatum?

I'd still be grateful for any comments on the previous insects.

Ta!

Attachments

• volucella_zonaria_6aug05_420_20.jpg
    volucella_zonaria_6aug05_420_20.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 200
  • chrysotoxum_7aug05_420_20.jpg
    chrysotoxum_7aug05_420_20.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 182
brianhstone said:
A couple more from a weekend near Winchester, which provided a few hoverfly and cricket firsts for me.

I think the first of these is Volucella zonaria, a large hornet mimic. The reddish thoracic dorsum and scutellum are indicative even if the size isn't obvious.

The secon is a Chrysotoxum species, perhaps arcuatum?

I'd still be grateful for any comments on the previous insects.

Ta!
Hello Brian,
V. zonaria female and I'm pretty sure the Chrysotoxum is festivum. You're getting some cracking species lately. I saw C. bicinctum the other day and at last managed to get some halfway decent pics - they usually don't sit still long enough ;) Re your previous posting, I'm 99% sure the Eupeodes is luniger and definately Sphaerophoria scripta for the other.
Cheers,
Steve.

Attachments

• Chrysotoxum bicinctum1.Red Lodge Pond.03-08-05.jpg
    Chrysotoxum bicinctum1.Red Lodge Pond.03-08-05.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 182
Can anyone help with this hoverfly? I've gone through the websites that I know about and cannot find a match, and it's so distinctive I didn't think I would have a problem. Photo taken this morning on a sweet pea flower in the garden.

Attachments

• unknown-hoverfly.jpg
    unknown-hoverfly.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 234
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back