• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GH1720 long-term reliability (1 Viewer)

Grando

Just wondered if there are any long-term users of this head out there, as I'd like to reassure myself about the long-term reliability of them given a couple of negative reviews I've read. I've certainly been very happy with my Gitzo tripod for several years and like the look of this head to accompany it... Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I've used one on a Manfrotto 055 for my Swarovski ATM 80HD for about a year now and am very happy with it. The head movement is still smooth and I really like the single point of control.

Thanks, nice to hear a good report from someone who’s used one for a good length of time. Think I’m going to have to seriously considering getting one.

I like the idea of the light weight of the 1720 and the single lock control. This one seems much more like my existing heavier Manfrotto...

I've been using GH1720 for many years. I am really disappointed with the quality, smooth etc. One of the screw fall off.

Yes, that sort of prompted this question. I suppose I was hoping to hear from a few people who hadn't had that experience, as I think there's a danger that only the unlucky, dissatisfied customers post their comments, leaving a false impression of a product's quality and reliability.

I suspect that the Gitzo won't be as smooth at panning as my Manfrotto (with two locks), but it will hopefully be more stable, easier to attach the plates, much quicker to control, and much lighter. Obviously though if many people's experience is that they break after a few months then I shan't touch it! Given that there is a 7-year extended manufacturer's warranty on them, however, and my good experience of their tripod legs then I'm tempted to risk it. Dear as they are, it's not quite like buying a new scope...

Last edited:
Gh2720

I use a GH2720 for over two year now and it is an delight to use.
Smooth, sturdy and it looks sexy as well ;-)

No complaints here.

Steven Schoevaart

I was considering lightweight fluid heads quite recently, looking to mount a Swaro ATS65 to a Benro CF tripod.
The 1720 was given much consideration, but eventually i went with the Sirui VA-5. I have found it quite delightful so far. It's not the 'single operation', with separate pan and tilt (pan being basically on or off, but the resistance when off is just about right), and i guess i'll never know if i would have been ok with the 1720, but there was just enough doubt generated by reviews to look for alternatives.

I've been using the GH1720 on a weekly basis for about 4 years and have had no problems or changes in its operation. I find that it works very well and that nothing of the same mass compares for performance.

--AP

Thanks all for your comments. I've decided to risk it and have ordered a 1720, given that it comes with a long warranty. I can't resist the idea of reduced weight coupled with just the one locking control. I'll report back in due course of my experiences!

I've had a 2720 for about nine years and a 1720 for about 4 years.

I think the panning function of my 2720 has become a little more fluid over the years, which is a good thing since it started off too stiff. The 1720 hasn't changed, which isn't such a good thing since when the locking control is fully off the tilt is a bit too loose and floppy. In my experience with the Gitzo 17/2720s the downside of a single locking control is that the tilt and pan may not be equally fluid on every unit and there is no way to change that. Be certain from the start that the tilt and pan fluidity on your unit is a good match.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back