• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG 65 scope? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Does anyone have any experience using the 65EDG? I'm debating getting a scope, something that is more portable than an 80MM but still provides good image quality through a bit higher range (I have an ED50 w/ a low power fixed EP), and there are some grey-model EDGs floating around at a good price. I have found very little information on either the 65EDG or the 80EDG.

Thanks,
Justin

Does anyone have any experience using the 65EDG? I'm debating getting a scope, something that is more portable than an 80MM but still provides good image quality through a bit higher range (I have an ED50 w/ a low power fixed EP), and there are some grey-model EDGs floating around at a good price. I have found very little information on either the 65EDG or the 80EDG.

Thanks,
Justin

Denver Holt (Founder of the Owl Research Institute) carried one to serve as the groups main glass on a Yellowstone tour a couple of years back. It was optically excellent, much more comfortable to look through than my ED50/13-40x zoom combination. Of course it was also considerably bigger.

The glass is clearly pretty rugged, as Denver did not baby it but rather handled it as an everyday tool.

Thanks for your thoughts, in the field views are always the best way to review in my mind.
It does seem true that it is a heavy scope, nearly as heavy as the ED82. Currently I am keeping an eye on a used ED82, but if I can't get it, the EDG may be my best option.

Justin

The 65mm is an excellent scope. They are rugged as was mentioned. The edge to edge clarity is excellent.
Color rendition was slightly different than Leica and Swaro, but not in a bad way.

I've actually had several of them over the years, my biggest complaint was that all three had dust specs inside the scope bodies. All three eventually were serviced and subsequently fine. But it was a pain.
The eyepieces are absolute chunks.--large and heavy.

If you get a spec-free one, they are sleeper glass right there with Leica and Swarovski in optical excellence.

The AFOV and ER on the EDG zoom is a bit low, with current standards, but the fixed EP:s are very nice.
Note that magnification for EP:s are lower on the 65 than on the 85 model.

And as already mentioned, the EDG scopes are quite large and heavy, and built like tanks.

The EDG scope was Nikon's alpha territory model and correspondingly pricey.
They even offered a VR version, stabilized for vibration reduction, at a substantial premium. That seemed especially interesting to me, as possibly a way to allow free hand scoping, ditching the tripod. However, I never found any user reviews, so did not follow up on it.
Apparently the EDGs did not meet the Nikon marketing goals, because they have not pursued this segment further.
There currently is still ample supply of EDGs, both new and used, available on auction at surprisingly good prices. The sellers are mostly from Japan, so possibly system inventory clearance, but surely the best buy currently in the scope world.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my EDG 85 angled and the fixed 20x and 30x eyepieces. I also have the 20-60 zoom but I much prefer the view from the fixed. They have a wider FOV.

Maybe Henry Link will chime in here. I recall him saying something about the effective aperture changing (stopping down) with focus on EDG scopes. Also something of them being optimized for digiscoping over visual.

I don't think I'm dreaming this up :smoke:

Oh, and a 65mm EDG w/zoom weighs 1950g.
An ED82 w/zoom weighs 1800g

More aperture, less weight, and eyepiece compatibility with your ED50. I know which one I'd be looking at.

Last edited:
Wasn't me Kevin. I haven't actually seen an EDG scope, but it I doubt that its aperture changes with focus since it doesn't have the type of moving prism focuser that's the usual cause of aperture loss at close focus.

Henry

The EDG scope was Nikon's alpha territory model and correspondingly pricey.
They even offered a VR version, stabilized for vibration reduction, at a substantial premium. That seemed especially interesting to me, as possibly a way to allow free hand scoping, ditching the tripod. However, I never found any user reviews, so did not follow up on it.
Apparently the EDGs did not meet the Nikon marketing goals, because they have not pursued this segment further.
There currently is still ample supply of EDGs, both new and used, available on auction at surprisingly good prices. The sellers are mostly from Japan, so possibly system inventory clearance, but surely the best buy currently in the scope world.

I used it for a while http://horukuru.blogspot.com/2012/02/nikon-fieldscope-edg85-vr-review.html

Thanks,
Justin
I'm a bit late to this thread but thought I would contribute. I've had the angled 65mm for a couple of years now with the zoom and LER 20x eyepieces. I have had the opportunity to compare it with the latest top end Leica and Kowa scopes. True it is a bit heavy and is not that small however the performance is superb and it is up there with the best.It's great for digiscoping. Bearing in mind they are now reasonably priced used purchases(though now a bit difficult to find) they are in my opinion underrated. To cut down on weight one can use the older fieldscope eyepieces with an adaptor. It gives the impression of a very well made product and I'm very happy with it.

Justin .... I sold my Kowa 883 & purchased a Nikon EDG 65. Optically I think it is the best 65mm spotter one can purchase. My opinion is based on its outstanding range of fixed eyepieces combined with its Alpha precise construction. I also found its carry/tripod adaptable heavy duty carry case is equal to none. Since I purchased my EDG a few years back most if not all of the negative comments I have read here has been from members whining about its bulky/heavy specs. Also I would note these negative comments came from people who actually never carried or handled the 65mm EDG. in the field.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back