• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX 85 - Initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

Craig H

Some members may remember I was asking a few questions about this scope before xmas and, eventually I bought one second hand, choosing this model over the Leica, Kowa and Zeiss equivalents. Here are my initial thoughts - not technical stuff, just how I find it in use.

Prior to this scope I had a Leica APO 77 with a 32x eyepiece, which had served me well for 18 years. I loved the view and the focussing mechanism. The latter was one of the reasons I was reluctant to move to Swarovski as I had never really liked the helical focus. Having used mine for three months now I have to say it hasn't all been a bed of roses.

At first everything seemed ok but after 3 or four trips out I discovered a 'flat' when turning the focus wheel, or at least a point where the wheel seemed to slip. Then it also became very stiff in cold weather and, when I eventually moved it, it became so free as to almost free wheel. After 18 years of trouble free viewing with my Leica this wasn't something I was impressed with. Anyhow, back to Swarovski and true to their reputation it was back with me inside a month and now focussing as smooth as you like. It even seems to focus better. A few more trips out and I have to say I now find the helical focus quite comfortable and the zoom ring being adjacent means its so easy to switch between the two.

Optically, I can only really compare it with what I remember from my Leica at 32x. Is it better? Yes, but I'd be reluctant to say how much by. The zoom is definitely a bonus; at 20x its brilliant and at 60x its better than anything I've looked at before.

Although not that lightweight, it feels massively lighter than my Leica and feels much better balanced on my back when carrying it around. It certainly feels better in all proportions than the APO 77 which was on the long side!

I'm still a bit worried about the join in the middle and avoid carrying it by the case strap as it just feels like it would put stress on the joint. If anyone can reassure me on that I'd love to hear.

I loved my Leica (apart from the lack of a zoom)and very nearly kept it - I would have done if I'd have been able to afford a new one without selling it. I think I may end up liking this Swarovski just as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back