• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lebanon. Easter. Asking for confirmation(1) (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Hi, Recently arrived from a holiday in Lebanon. Could you please confirm my ids?

1-1-Misterio.jpg

2-Misterio 3.jpg

3-1-Misterio4.jpg

4-Misterio 5.jpg.

My attempts:
1- Graceful prinia
2- Honey buzzard
3- Graceful prinia
4- Common tern

Thank you in advance!

Agrée on the Prinia and Common Tern, the raptor photo is very blurred on my screen but looks to have a small head etc. so Honey Buzzard possible, did you see flocks migrating T? Also, did you witness any bird shooting while you were there?
Cheers
Richard

1-3-4 OK
I Don't see a HB here, tail is long but shape of tail wrong, also moulting inner primaries in spring would be at odds with HB so Buteo Buzzard for me

Also, did you witness any bird shooting while you were there?
Cheers
Richard

I did not see hunters but I saw literally thousands and thousands of shotgun shells on the ground on many ways I walked along. It was an appalling sight. Apparently, shooting down every flying creature during migrations is the national pastime. I felt like crying!

I just thought it was a honey buzzard because of long neck and tail. Another worse picture of the same bird:

Misterio 6.jpg

Last edited:
That certainly looks more buteo-like now, most likely a vulpinus 'Steppe Buzzard' on its way north.
Glad you didn't witness the slaughter - there is hope, more and more young people are getting involved in 'nature groups' and photographing rather than shooting birds is on the increase -still a long way to go though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back