• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call of the wild: Re-establishing our lost wild animals (1 Viewer)

This story shows government neglect and overgrown bureaucracy.

Other European countries have wolves, lynx, beavers and elk living even in densely inhabited areas and there are ways to lower damage to farming. Maybe this will convince British to bring back large animals?

Question is, is this practical-it will be expensive and may well fail. Is it possible to work, or is it a romantic notion? (Should they actually go through with it, of course)

we did it here with wolves and moose and its wroked out fine, wolves number around 500 here and the moose have been estimated at 400 (though they are notoriously hard to find, let alone count) we also have 1800 elk in the pigeon river valley that are expanding their range into other areas of the lower peninsula (elk have been seen as far south as kalamazoo xounty) and elk from wisconsin will expand into the upper peninsula in the next 10 years. there are also signs that the lynx are returning up here (one was unfortunatly caught in a trap set for martens in the county where i live)

The obstacle is the Government, even Beaver have been given the thumbs down despite their track record on the environment being essentially benign.

John

Farnboro John said:
The obstacle is the Government
John

Totally agree. Turning down the beaver reintroduction proposal was utterly ludicrous, and I am surprised it hasn't been overturned due to the EU legislation that requires member states to consider reintroductions where possible. Given that virtually all other member states have reintroduced beavers with no problems, why should Britain be any different?

On the other hand, the governments incompetance has proved good news for wild boar. Had the government acknowledged their presence early enough, no doubt they would have tried to eradicate them. Now that they have left it so long to asess the issue, eradication will no longer be feasible and they are here to stay.

I know its the wrong way to go about it, but I have some sympathy for those organisations who plan to illegally release these animals as it seems like its the only way it will ever happen in the UK.

I remember one Dutch birder telling about reintroduction Dutch style (actually, EU style ;) )

They want to reintroduce a flower. First, there is a feasibility study several years long. It is usually sytalled, because nobody can be sure that it will be successful without trying. Then they argue if conditions are right. Again, nobody knows for sure without trying. Then they look for population closest genetically. Invariably, that population is also endangered.

At the end, biology student brings some flowers one night in his car and plants them. There is a big hooorah! The species survived!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back