• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee Orchids gone over? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I was lucky enough to find some Bee Orchids a week or so ago, went back to the same location today hoping to get some better pics but there was no sign of them, can anyone tell me how long they flower for, and if anyone is
still seeing them in their area?

Matt

Some of last weeks pics

Attachments

• buckenham etc 189 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 189 (Custom).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 165
  • buckenham etc 204 (Custom).jpg
    buckenham etc 204 (Custom).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 134
I was lucky enough to find some Bee Orchids a week or so ago, went back to the same location today hoping to get some better pics but there was no sign of them, can anyone tell me how long they flower for, and if anyone is

Matt

Some of last weeks pics

They are present in South Beds but a bit tatty looking. I guess the flowering season is at most 1 month if that. A particular flower might be in peak condition for a week or two.

I had a plant appear on my back lawn about four years ago but it has never shown since. I think the flowers lasted one or two weeks.

Ron

Matt

Some of last weeks pics

Hi Matt,

The plants you show in your photo should still have been in flower a week later, there is still two buds on one plant (although one of those buds has been chewed a bit). Even when finished flowering you should have been able to pick out the plants if you looked closely. My guess is that they have been munched, or trodden on etc.

Gareth

Hi Matt,

Gareth has said it all really. Someone might have picked them of course?

In the Gloucs/Bristol area there were a few plants at the weekend with a couple of good flowers at the top, but most of the few plants I saw were brown and pretty much over. The ones near me in Staffs are all brown and grubby.

Where are you in Norfolk? There is a good site near Norwich that you might like to check out.

In general I'd suggest the flowering time for Bee orchid is the whole month of June, with a peak in the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

Sean

Hi Matt,

Gareth has said it all really. Someone might have picked them of course?

Sean

Hope not!!

Regarding the location, it's about 7 miles south west of Norwich. I'm pretty certain no one else would have seen them as they were growing in a permanent set aside field in the middle of 'nowhere'.

Thanks for the info everyone:t:

Matt

The one that I've seen at Holme this year (not found by me) was at peak flowering about a fortnight ago.

Cheers,

Connor

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back