• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carbon tripod advice for 500mm lens (1 Viewer)

elvisboy

Just about to buy a canon 500mm lens
Whats the cheapest carbon fibre flat top tripod
To support it all replies gratefully received

Elvis boy

Firstly don't skimp on the tripod and head!
Pretty much any decent tripod will support a 500 F4 but not that many will do it well (the same applies to the head). Things such as vibration damping and torsional rigidity become much more important with the longer lenses. Personally I use a Gitzo 3530LS and a Wimberley 2 gimbal head and I find this setup is just the job for 600 F4 and 800 F5.6 lenses - it is also a popular choice for the 500 F4 and 400 F2.8 lenses. This tripod is not made anymore but this is the newer version: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-gitzo-gt3532ls-series-3-6x-systematic-tripod/p1529756

Sorry about the price but they are VERY good! Don't forget to have a look at the used market as a tripod like mine recently went for 310 GBP on E Bay and another went for just under 300 in a private sale.

A couple of friends of mine have Feisol tripods which are very nice - especially considering the price! Their models are too small for your lens but they do show the quality of Feisol products.
Have a look at these ones and see what you think, or contact Feisol UK - my friends found them very helpful.
http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/14-ct-3371-large.html

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/16-ct-3372-elite.html

Happy hunting.

P.S. You would probably get a larger response if you put this in the "Photographic Tripods and Heads" section.

For my N600 I got a nice tripod from REALLY THE RIGHT STUFF-- USA made down to the last screw. The well known "G" brand was not to be had when I needed something. I topped it off with a Wimberley 2 gimbal head, before they left Winchester, VA and have NEVER been sorry. JMHO :)

Would echo johnf3f's comments ... whether it's a new big white or a top of the range scope it's just not worth skimping on the tripod.

I've never had a Gitzo but from what I've seen in the field they're rightly up there. Instead I've had the Feisol CT-3372 for the last year+ with a Swaro ATX95 (and occasionally camera+long lens or camera+swaro APO) & I've never questioned the £400-odd spend on a REALLY good set of legs!!

Can't recommend a head if you're primarily interested in the photo side of things ... I currently use the Manfrotto MVH500AH which is brilliant with the scope as using the maching long plate allows me to balance the scope perfectly for digiscoping securely without wasting money on the plasticy-Swaro balance rail.

Hope that helps.

Chris A.

I have a Velbon CF 730 (discontinued) rock solid, bought after splashing out on a Gitzo 13?? on which leg locks failed, replaced under warranty and replacement had the same problem ! so bought the velbon about five years ago (used on a sigma 300-800 which have since sold) much better made tripod IMHO

I have a Velbon CF 730 (discontinued) rock solid, bought after splashing out on a Gitzo 13?? on which leg locks failed, replaced under warranty and replacement had the same problem ! so bought the velbon about five years ago (used on a sigma 300-800 which have since sold) much better made tripod IMHO

Your leg locks failed! How did that happen?
I have a G1329 Mk2 and it has the most bulletproof leg locks that I have yet come across, including my other 2 more modern 3 series Gitzos.
Sorry to hear of you problem but I am baffled as to how it could happen - hence my question.

Hi, just seen your reply to my post, I did'nt word it very well, it was actually where the legs fix in to the top centre flat section, they are only glued in and it was these joints that failed

Hi, just seen your reply to my post, I did'nt word it very well, it was actually where the legs fix in to the top centre flat section, they are only glued in and it was these joints that failed

I have heard of this occurring, rarely, on older models - but it has always been secondhand your is the first case I have hear of first hand.
I believe that this does not occur with newer models, it certainly hasn't with mine!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back