• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle - Lithuania (1 Viewer)

marius.k

Hi all,

I would appreciate to know your opinion about this eagle from East part of Lithuania today.

Attachments

• Eagle 1.jpg
    Eagle 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Eagle 2.jpg
    Eagle 2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 102
Small bill, light brown upperwing coverts, large white spot on upper primaries and above all light iris are all perfect for LSE

Whilst it's only a very small sample, interesting to note that of the four Estonian satellite-tracked LSE the furthest North has only just crossed into Egypt. The seventh primary looks very long to me too.

Edit:- Just looked at the 8 tracked GSE and they're all much closer to home - 3 just South of Istanbul, the rest in Europe with 3 very far North.

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=EN

Last edited:
Whilst it's only a very small sample, interesting to note that of the four Estonian satellite-tracked LSE the furthest North has only just crossed into Egypt. The seventh primary looks very long to me too.

Edit:- Just looked at the 8 tracked GSE and they're all much closer to home - 3 just South of Istanbul, the rest in Europe with 3 very far North.

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=EN

All german LSE still in Africa, no barring visible to make a definitive ID, still visible iris would be at odds with GSE

Looking at the pic blown up in photoshop, the 'visible iris' is actually a bud on one of those twigs :t:

Here it is blown up and with the brightness and contrast enhanced a bit to make it easier to see.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 73
Not the best angle for judging iris colour - from what I can see it does look pale - but it would be very useful to have more of a head-on shot to be certain. I'm not sure if the angle may be having an effect on the appearance?

I find it difficult to separate the two species on bill size as it seems there is some variation. A big billed GSE should look quite different to a small billed LSE but I think some GSE with smaller than average bills are likely to cause confusion.

By the way Tom I would be interested to learn more about the German LSE you mention - is this a satellite tracking project?

Last edited:
By the way Tom I would be interested to learn more about the German LSE you mention - is this a satellite tracking project?

Yes they are satellite tracked but unfortunately the website is no longer updated. Bernd Meyburg made a post yesterday that one male is still in Uganda and the other LSE not even in Egypt, which means they are really late

Thanks Tom - a shame it's not possible to follow their progress online.

Looking back I found a post from Fernando Alonso (fdokykcu) regarding iris colour where he quoted DF.

"The*iris*colour remains a reliable feature when seen well. In LSE the*iris*has a pale yellowish colour in all but juveniles and first-year birds, while in GSE it remains dark throughout life, although some adults show a lighter, medium brown*iris, but never the bright amber or almost pure yellow of adult LSE"*

Hard to say from the OP's photo just how near the iris colour is to the description.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back