• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Blue Tit from Usedom (German/Polish border) Apr 2018 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
This Blue Tit seems to be lacking any blue and has a broad white stripe on its belly. Can anyone please tell me what causes this, or is it hybrid of some sort?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• ARD_6258.JPG
    ARD_6258.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for brightening Nutcracker. The broad patch is an interesting thought, thanks Bobbit! Adam, I normally see the blue as blue, but not here, even on the brightened bird. You can see it though, so it must be my perception. The Red/browns are difficult for me and now the shadowy blues. Makes bird watching more fun though!
Imagine four colour blind birders if you will:
What colour is that bird?
Black
Na, blue!
Na green!!
Keeps it interesting

there is no blue tint at all that i can see. not even in the black. i have very good colour perception.

slight black streak on the white band down chest. as noted before, these feathers can get 'ruffled' and under feathers show through. for instance my local robin female has often regularly appeared to have very strong black dots and stripes on chest/belly but these are i believe where white feathers are broken or disarrayed.

colour variations do occur, although new to birding my observation of colour and tints is good and i had a blackbird that appeared over a week or two with no brown or blue or red sheen whatsoever to the black anywhere on its feathers. in diferent lights the tones were all grey. so i have no idea how pigments are missing, whether diet or genetics, but it does happen and not always the 'leucistic' or albino type. i should add that my observations of that bird were often in company of other both male and female blackbirds and from just six feet away.

Last edited:
There's plenty of blue on that bird. It looks like a pretty normal blue tit apart from the bigger than usual white area on the underparts

Thanks Jape. Do you think this is a case of melanism then?

it is possible there is increase in melanin, or just a loss of whatever makes up the blue in pigment however i would expect that to leave paler feathers whereas the 'cap' to me is black. then again, the underside of tail is much lighter in this picture than my regular visitors display

with fuzzy digital shots we also have to consider the verity of the camera lense and sensor and whatever processing occurs

I dont think we will ever know without more shots of back to see if blue or green feathers exist at all.

and fat paul disagrees anyway!

either way, interesting and worthy of discussion in my opinion. i meant to add before that one of the bluetits i had daily on the feeder for weeks lacked the black 'moustache' and had just a spot of black, so variations occur naturally but how, i dont know.

Last edited:
It is a normal blue tit which fluffed its feathers. White bases of yellow belly feathers are exposed. The bird looks to the right of the photo, and shadow makes the cap look dark. Left of the photo shows blue neck-collar and pale nape.

It is a normal blue tit which fluffed its feathers. White bases of yellow belly feathers are exposed. The bird looks to the right of the photo, and shadow makes the cap look dark. Left of the photo shows blue neck-collar and pale nape.

Agree, there's nothing atypical here. The whitish belly with a suggestion of "Great Tit Tie" is also the rule for males, as well as females.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back