• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going 'macro' with Nikon 300 f4 ED AFS (1 Viewer)

griffin

Since I have ordered one of these lenses I am looking to get the maximum benefit from it.

On a review of the lens someone had taken fantastic pictures of dragonflies with this lens using "a PN-11 extender". I checked this out and it doesn't seem that it is for use with the 300...... or is it ?

My question is simple: is anyone using this lens for 'macro' type photography and if so what extension tubes are you using to get closer. My current 'macro' lens is a 28-300 Tamron with MFD of 39 cm. Anything around 50cm would be okay with the 300 though.

Thanks again,

Lindsay

PS I know that it is not 'real' macro !

Lindsay, I use this lens a lot for Macro, I use it with the kenko extension tubes a worthwhile £50.00 of eBay and they work with all Nikon Lenses.....

Griffin,
Nikon make a pK11/11a and a pN11, the instruction manual (page 13 top) for the AFS Nikkor ED 300mm f4D IF lens only states the "K" series of rings (K1, PK1, PK11 and PK11A) as being unsuitable, potential damage to the CPU contacts.
Suggest you have a relook at what you saw/read.
Steves suggestion is a wise bet.
regards.

Griffin,
Nikon make a pK11/11a and a pN11, the instruction manual (page 13 top) for the AFS Nikkor ED 300mm f4D IF lens only states the "K" series of rings (K1, PK1, PK11 and PK11A) as being unsuitable, potential damage to the CPU contacts.
Suggest you have a relook at what you saw/read.
Steves suggestion is a wise bet.
regards.

It was HERE, though not terribly clear or comprehensive !

OOI how much closer would something like this allow me to get, or would I need several stacked to get any noticable effect with a 300mm ? Around 87 cm MFD ?

Lindsay

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back