• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have a California Quail in my garden South Lincolnshire (1 Viewer)

Or indeed in the Brecks - saw a covey from the train near Lakenheath around then. Saw one walking up someone's drive in Midleton, not that far from Minsmere, back in the 80s too.

We saw one in New Zealand, 17 and a half years ago in the North Island. No, I am not revealing the actual location as I do not want a mass stampede of the twitching fraternity down under; NZ is much too nice a country for it to be trampled underfoot by the hordes!

MS

We saw one in New Zealand, 17 and a half years ago in the North Island. No, I am not revealing the actual location as I do not want a mass stampede of the twitching fraternity down under; NZ is much too nice a country for it to be trampled underfoot by the hordes!

MS

California Quail or Bobwhite? Either way, seeing as how neither are indigenous to New Zealand originally, I doubt very much that European birders will stampede all the way there to tick the species when they can both be found breeding ferally in Europe, and even their native range is so much closer than New Zealand. And if any local birders count Category C species on their national lists, presumably they've already done so, or know sites for them if not.

MS

Too late. As recently documented by JRR Oddie in the little known fourth part of his famous trilogy; 'The Quest for the Unholy Quail'

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...sters-aliens-robots-and-vi-1518858%2F;400;267

(Twitchers have been given a bit of a bit of a bad press at times - note the friendly visages, practical camo wear and superlative fieldcraft and you realise it's all been way over-exaggerated ... )

Last edited:
Too late. As recently documented by JRR Oddie in the little known fourth part of his famous trilogy; 'The Quest for the Unholy Quail'

And of course now put to film - 'Californication; the Quest,arr for the Unholy Quail'.

A film of prodigious scope, starring, a little unexpectedly, Harrison Ford, some pirates (with a prodigious scope), local patch workers and of course Lee in a starring role as the chief elf, and safety officer. And a demented chicken.

(And not to forget a few thousand marauding auks besides ...)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back