• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Noctivid (1 Viewer)

Incidentally, let’s not pretend industrial design doesn’t really matter in this market! I wish Nikon and others were capable of caring about it even 25% as much as Leica does. It’s extraordinary how junky other manufacturers can make even expensive optics look, by slathering them with ill-chosen lettering, textures, and giant logos. Leica always gets it exactly right, and that’s one of the reasons they can still command such eye-watering premiums.

Imagine if Canon’s birdwatching 10x42 IS models weren’t, no exaggeration, the ugliest binoculars anyone had ever seen in their lives—what an interesting world it would be.

Anyway, I want.

Hi Peter,

Re your post #21:

Arguably the best looking Leicas are the Blacklines. They are basically 1st generation Ultravids; solid black with thin leather coverings over 1/2 of their objective tubes and are priced accordingly. They are on sale now at Camera Land for $1399.99.

https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Leica-Ultravid-8x42-BL-Binoculars-%2340271-ultravid-hd&catalog[product_guids][0]=1090881

I have had one for years. It is very handsome.:king: It is also an excellent, 25.5 ounce 8x42 binocular.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics-Old-2/Leica-Hunting/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-Blackline

Bob

PS: Nikon's new solid black Monarch HG 8x42 (which I also have) and HG 10x42 are nearly as good looking as the Leica Blacklines. They are 2 ounces lighter in weight with magnesium frames, wider FOVs, flat fields, better coatings and they cost about $400.00 less.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-hg-8x42.html

Last edited:
Hi Caesar,

I’m not sure how I missed the notification of this reply—sorry. Those BL’s are indeed the quintessence of Leica style, which seems not simply refined so much as triple-distilled, locating the archetypal look of what roof prisms should be, and adding nothing unnecessary to it. I love them.

I agree that the Nikon HG’s are far more beautiful than the regular Monarchs—much less the toylike, Batman-accessory impression left by the EDG’s, for all their extraordinary optical quality. I think the HG’s have also improved from the 42 mm models to the 30 mm models, by stripping away some of the extra ‘Nikon’ stamps on the focuser and the like.

Too many midprice binoculars still look like NASCAR racers, with poorly considered text and logos slapped all over them (e.g., the Vixen New Forestas, which would be fine if they didn’t say ‘New Foresta’ and eight other things on the left barrel, in a jumble of type styles that one can only guess must look pleasing to a non-English-reading eye).

Bino design

I don't think the EDGs look bad at all, the older leitz are from an aesthetic viewpoint are very pleasing to look at. I still hold out hope Leica will remake these.

Andy W.

Attachments

• 3EDGS.jpg
    3EDGS.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF4095.jpg
    DSCF4095.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 77
I have a Nikon 10x32 EDG and a Nikon 10x32 LXL (HGL in Europe) Place them next to each other and it is easy to see that they are from the same lineage. Focus wheels are almost the same and feel the same in use. The body coverings and contours are similar. The LXL/HGLs have been unchanged since their introduction in 2004.

The major differences between the LXLs and EDGs were internal and significant. The EDG had a 7x42 version. The earlier LXL/HGLs did not have a 7x42. The coatings on the lenses and prisms of the EDGs were modernized (Di-electric and ED) and the Diopter was integrated with the Focus Wheel. And the 8x42 and 10x42 versions of the EDG were given much wider FOVs than the LXL/HGLs had.

Optics excepted, my Monarch 8x42 HGs construction is completely different from the EDG from its ultra light Magnesium Alloy frame up. The only thing it has that is reminiscent of the LXL/HGL series is the same locking diopter that was on the LXL/HGL; but it is not as well built or precise as the old one was.

Bob

Last edited:
Green alpha binoculars

I can recall the Zeiss Victory FL coming in green rubber armouring, both the 42mm and the 32mm. But they too had the annoying black objective covers and eyepiece rainguard in black.
I guess these parts and the strap are standard accessories made for them by a contractor.
Also remember the Leitz Trinovid and the Leica Trinovid BA coming in green.

There is a photo of one on a separate thread https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3787417&postcount=9

Last edited:
This is very much a matter of De gustibus non est disputandum! In my case, I’m probably drawn to binoculars that evoke the look of those my father used when I was small, or that I saw around my grandfather’s house. Porro prisms still look the most ‘right’ of all to me, especially in old-fashioned proportions like 7x35 and 8x40. If Superior E’s or E II’s were weatherproofed, I’d likely get a pair and never stray.

And back in the day there probably weren’t as many opportunities to sculpt modern alloys and synthetic materials into interesting, hand-friendly forms.

It should go without saying that any such ‘How do these binoculars make me look?’ considerations come in last place, far, far behind the incredible view that binoculars like the EDG’s can offer.

This is very much a matter of De gustibus non est disputandum! In my case, I’m probably drawn to binoculars that evoke the look of those my father used when I was small, or that I saw around my grandfather’s house. Porro prisms still look the most ‘right’ of all to me, especially in old-fashioned proportions like 7x35 and 8x40. If Superior E’s or E II’s were weatherproofed, I’d likely get a pair and never stray.

And back in the day there probably weren’t as many opportunities to sculpt modern alloys and synthetic materials into interesting, hand-friendly forms.

It should go without saying that any such ‘How do these binoculars make me look?’ considerations come in last place, far, far behind the incredible view that binoculars like the EDG’s can offer.

Get an SE or an EII anyway. There is no imperative to use them in foul weather. You will be glad you have one.

The 8x32SE and 8x30EII are the most useful. The 10x35EII has a remarkably wide FOV of 7º. And the 10x42SE's Flat Field makes its 6º FOV seem even wider.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back