• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding trip January (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
Hi,

I have a free 3/4 days in January and want to get away on a birding get away? Possibly in UK, Scotland, Shetland’s..can anyone recommend a good area to visit. And few birds we can hope for.

Shetlands in January would be pretty grim I reckon (from a birding point of view) - about six hours of daylight! Some potential for interesting seaducks and gulls at least.

The only reason I'd go to Shetland in January would be Up Helly Aa!

I've been planning a 5 day birding trip for the start of the year, with a view to getting my year off to a good start. I've got two possible ideas in mind:

First option- East Anglia: cranes at dusk at Horsey, hawfinches at dusk at Lynford, wild swans at Welney, white-fronts at Holkham, a look around Cley, Titchwell and Minsmere (there's apparently a very showy bittern at Minsmere at the moment, and if the wind isn't too bad Dunwich Heath is pretty good for Dartfords), plus wherever on the coast shorelarks, snow buntings and twite are revealed by the news services to be hanging out this winter. Maybe try for a r-l buzzard if there's a promising one.

Second option- First Scotland tour. Firth of Forth for velvet scoters (and any surf scoters that are around), Solway Firth for barnacles, a trip up to Speyside to tick cresties while they are coming to the feeders. The downside of this plan, of course, is that I will have to go back in early April to tick bananabills, as well as a west coast/ Uists trip in late May to get corncrakes and eagles (and the rest of the west coast stuff while I'm at it, including ptarmigan and the black duck at Stontian.)

Any thoughts?

Hi,

I have a free 3/4 days in January and want to get away on a birding get away? Possibly in UK, Scotland, Shetland’s..can anyone recommend a good area to visit. And few birds we can hope for.

I have been having 4/5 days on the North Norfolk coast for the last 5 years in the middle of January. Hasn't always been magnificent but always a good kick-start to the year list. Always a good number of people out birding, which makes you feel that should anything turn up it will be found.

Unfortunately, missing out this year as I'll be in New Zealand but.....;)

Dorset perhaps. Usually relatively warmer than the east of the UK at that time of year.
The RSPB reserves of Radipole and Lodmoor can be useful (Bearded Tit). Also Portland Bill for sea watching Portland Observatory reported several Great Bustard flyover.
Further east there's RSPB Arne and also Studland area (Dartford Warbler).
Finally Lyme Regis for possible Purple Sandpiper and Dipper.
Wherever you go you never know what'll show up (or not)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back