• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memories of the once great Scillies. (1 Viewer)

Egrets9

Seeing its getting to that time of year again.I was wondering if any birdforum members.Who used to go to Scilly every October .Had some fond memories of the glory days or had any funny stories to tell.When Scilly used to be the mecca for rarities in the Uk .And also members thoughts on why it no longer gets the number of rarities now.I have only been to the Scillies once in1989.That was a fairly quiet year for birds.But i can remember seeing loads of Black Redstarts all over the place.There must have be a big influx at the time.Other birds i saw during the week were Radde's Warbler ,Arctic Warbler,Icterine Warbler,Richard's Pipits ,RB Flys,Red kite,Spoonbill,2 RR Swallows,6 Hawfinch and loads of Firecrests,YB Warblers.Its just a shame i hadn't seen any megas on my only visit to the famous Scilly Isles.

Last edited:
Only ever been once but certainly picked the right year.
went 17 Oct 1985.Looking at my note book it reads:

17th Oct 85

2:24 Holy Vale Yellow-browed Warbler.
3:19 Normandy Black Redstart
3:23 Normandy Rustic Bunting
3:35 Cairn Vean? Yellow-billed Cuckoo
4:46 Garrison Parula Warbler

18th Oct 85

08:27 Old Town churchyard Red-eyed Vireo
12:26 Tresco Great Pool Spotted Sandpiper
12:58 Tresco Borough Farm European Bee-eater
13:46 Tresco Great Pool Ring-necked Duck
16:43 St Mary's Rocky Hill? Red-breasted Flycatcher
17:11 School Myrtle Warbler

19th Oct 85

07:46 Lower Moors Black-crowned Night Heron
10:53 Airport Bobolink
14:17 Rubbish Dump Red-breasted Grosbeak
17:42 Tresco Great Pool Radde's Warbler

20th Oct 85

08:03 Penninis Wryneck
14:35 Newford duck pond Pallas's Warbler

21st Oct

09:51 Porthelick pool Jack Snipe
14:47 St Agnus American Wigeon

nuff said!!

Only ever been once but certainly picked the right year.
went 17 Oct 1985.Looking at my note book it reads:

17th Oct 85

2:24 Holy Vale Yellow-browed Warbler.
3:19 Normandy Black Redstart
3:23 Normandy Rustic Bunting
3:35 Cairn Vean? Yellow-billed Cuckoo
4:46 Garrison Parula Warbler

18th Oct 85

08:27 Old Town churchyard Red-eyed Vireo
12:26 Tresco Great Pool Spotted Sandpiper
12:58 Tresco Borough Farm European Bee-eater
13:46 Tresco Great Pool Ring-necked Duck
16:43 St Mary's Rocky Hill? Red-breasted Flycatcher
17:11 School Myrtle Warbler

19th Oct 85

07:46 Lower Moors Black-crowned Night Heron
10:53 Airport Bobolink
14:17 Rubbish Dump Red-breasted Grosbeak
17:42 Tresco Great Pool Radde's Warbler

20th Oct 85

08:03 Penninis Wryneck
14:35 Newford duck pond Pallas's Warbler

21st Oct

09:51 Porthelick pool Jack Snipe
14:47 St Agnus American Wigeon

nuff said!!
Hi Steve you certainly pick a good year.I have spoken to my birding mates and other birders who were there in 85.And they all thought 85 was the best year for Scilly.Rustic Bunting ,Radde's Warbler and Pallas's Warbler were still rare back then.

Last edited:
Hi Steve you certainly pick a good year.I have spoken to my birding mates and other birders who were there in 85.And they all thought 85 was the best year for Scilly.Rustic Bunting ,Radde's Warbler and Pallas's Warbler were still rare back then.

We were there a bit later (half-term week) and saw most of what Steve saw but the winds (which weren't particularly strong), kept blowing in different directions and bringing new birds every day. We saw Olivaceous and Sardinian Warblers that year too! I seem to recall seeing at least 3 Pallas' Warblers.

As to why it's not such a mecca for rare birds at the moment; change in the jetstream, not as many birders (very expensive now!) Many experienced birders have seen most of the birds which turn up there regularly, so take their allegiance elsewhere? It's a mystery, but it's still a beautiful place which will surely still be great for birding in the future - we'd all be a bit sick if a host of Americans turned up on the tail of the next Hurricane!!:C

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back