• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CA On The Noctivid (1 Viewer)

What do you prefer about Leica's? The optics or the ergonomics. They are small in size and weight which I like. I feel the small size handicaps the performance of the optics because of short focal length issues and such.

The number one thing that works for me with Leicas better than the other Alphas is ease of view. It might just be the shape of my face, deep set eyes, I don't know, but the 8x42 size Leicas almost universally present an easy, picture window view for me. The only other bin that gave me that same easy view was a 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt that I got to use, it was awesome. Surprisingly the 32 size Leicas don't work for me as well, I get blackouts. The 32 size Swaros are better, but I love my SEs.

Your comment about distant third seems disingenuous to me. All the alpha brands and some of the mid tier are so good, you are splitting hairs and personal preference to separate them.

Additionally I really like the color-contrast of the Leicas. I also prefer a more compact, lighter bin because I hike in the mountains a lot. I'm not a birder per say, but I watch wildlife a lot.

I consider Leica's to be a distant third behind Swarovski and Zeiss. One of their best binoculars the Leica Ultravid Plus 10x42 is 13th place in the Allbino's ranking of 10x42's. Really! Not very impressive for a $2200.00 binocular. There are a lot of less expensive binoculars that outperform it. Even the Vangusrd Endeavor EDII!

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Leica a distant third? This all a bit subjective of course but my subjectivity would not allow me to use the word distant at all. And personally I would take Chuck's assessment of a pair of binos rather than Allbinos, any day of the week.

Lee

A very warm color transmission biased towards the red spectrum and slightly higher in CA than the other alpha's and less sharp edges.

I don't see it as "very" warm at least not in the plus version.
In the 7x CA isn't an issue for me. Lower mag should also
exhibit less CA in theory.
The few times I've seen CA appear
on axis in my Uvid , it disappeared when I adjusted alignment with my eyeglasses.
There's minimal on the periphery to my eyes, but some others can't cope
with any and Zeiss FL is a great choice for superior CA control for those folks.

I'm OK with less sharp edges. I find the central image just beautiful and also the handling and size of the 42mm Uvid very nice and all around a great fit for me.
I've tried the others and they're real nice too, but couldn't change my mind on what I already have.

This model has been around a long time and there's a reason for that... it has its strong points as do the other classic top models from Swaro and Zeiss.

Additionally I really like the color-contrast of the Leicas. I also prefer a more compact, lighter bin because I hike in the mountains a lot. I'm not a birder per say, but I watch wildlife a lot.

I agree, the Leica view is very pleasant and enjoyable, it has a special crispness to it, and the exterior design is number one.

Patudo. Nice answer. On the Noctivid you say it delivers the most "attractive image" in a traditional way. What do you mean by attractive? Is it because you prefer the color bias of the Noctivid or something else. You mention the compactness of the Leica's and I agree with that. For example, the Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 is really small compared to the other 32mm's but I just can't see how they can get the same optical performance out of such a short focal length binocular. I feel the small size of Leica's handicaps their performance.

The number one thing that works for me with Leicas better than the other Alphas is ease of view. It might just be the shape of my face, deep set eyes, I don't know, but the 8x42 size Leicas almost universally present an easy, picture window view for me. The only other bin that gave me that same easy view was a 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt that I got to use, it was awesome. Surprisingly the 32 size Leicas don't work for me as well, I get blackouts. The 32 size Swaros are better, but I love my SEs.

Your comment about distant third seems disingenuous to me. All the alpha brands and some of the mid tier are so good, you are splitting hairs and personal preference to separate them.

I have never found the Leica's to have that "ease of view" you describe. I have problems with short eye cups and blackouts with a lot of them but that depends on how they fit your face and how deep your eye sockets are. You mention color-contrast and size. I like the small size of Leica's also and has been said some people like their highly saturated colors and some don't. Leica's are a more colorful binocular with warmer colors. Zeiss and Swarovski are colder and more neutral.

Leica a distant third? This all a bit subjective of course but my subjectivity would not allow me to use the word distant at all. And personally I would take Chuck's assessment of a pair of binos rather than Allbinos, any day of the week.

Lee
It is partly subjective but partly based on Allbino's somewhat objective reviews. I would not knock Allbino's reviews totally because they are probably the best objective reviews we have on the internet. I know this goes against the popular vote but personally I find a lot of Allbino's reviews to be pretty accurate. It is true they don't take account a lot of variables in why somebody chooses a binocular over another one but they can't consider everything. They do a pretty good job of sorting out the optics. I also agree with a lot of what Chuck says. There are not too many people that have day to day access to so many different binoculars so his opinion lends a lot of weight but it is still subjective.

Gilmore Girl. Your are right in that the Zeiss FL is one of the best binoculars for controlling CA. What exactly do you find "beautiful" about the Leica image? Is it the colors? When I tried the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 I was impressed with the intensity of the colors. It was almost like technicolor. You hear that a lot when somebody describes a Leica.

[email protected], I have to ask this. I've been following this thread and others that you've posted in on the Leica forum, and I just wonder what point it is that you're trying to make. You obviously prefer Swarovski and Zeiss to Leica. That's OK - each to his/her own, but it seems that you're not comfortable with the fact that many prefer Leica, primarily for the view that Leica gives. I'm just curious why?

[email protected], I have to ask this. I've been following this thread and others that you've posted in on the Leica forum, and I just wonder what point it is that you're trying to make. You obviously prefer Swarovski and Zeiss to Leica. That's OK - each to his/her own, but it seems that you're not comfortable with the fact that many prefer Leica, primarily for the view that Leica gives. I'm just curious why?

I think he just believes we're all wrong, and he wants to enlighten us😀.

Gilmore Girl. Your are right in that the Zeiss FL is one of the best binoculars for controlling CA. What exactly do you find "beautiful" about the Leica image? Is it the colors? When I tried the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 I was impressed with the intensity of the colors. It was almost like technicolor. You hear that a lot when somebody describes a Leica.

yeah, colors and contrast as many note, but also another quality hard to describe. Someone described it as "washed clean" which is a good description.
Before I read that I described the image quality to myself as "smooth" if that makes sense, but washed clean or just clean seems about right.

I have only little experience with the 8x32 Uvid hd and hd plus. Unfortunately, the 8x32 didn't work well with my glasses, but 7x42 works very well and has a great ease of view for me.
I tried going back to 8x32 a few times, but with glasses I prefer my 7x42 and this is all I use now...don't own anything else anymore.

I don't necessarily prefer any brand. I find it interesting to know why you prefer Leica's. I like to try different binoculars so if I know why you like them it helps me decide if I want to try them. Sometimes when somebody else describes the good points of a product such as a binocular it helps you appreciate it more. Kind of like people. Their good sides at first aren't immediately apparent.

Last edited:
Interesting "Washed Clean." I wonder if that would be like free of aberrations? The little Ultravid is short on ER for glasses. That makes me want to try a 7x42 Ultravid HD because when it is somebodies only binocular it has to be good.

Interesting "Washed Clean." I wonder if that would be like free of aberrations? The little Ultravid is short on ER for glasses. That makes me want to try a 7x42 Ultravid HD because when it is somebodies only binocular it has to be good.

I just bought a Leica Geovid from Doug at CL NY. He is the only reason I entertained the idea of owning a Leica, as he is there to resolve any issues that may occur with Leica USA.

I would not be interested in another Leica, however, and it has nothing to do with optics, build quality, etc. It has to do with Leica's perpetually pathetic customer service here in the USA. I went to register my Geovids online at Leica USA, and the portal would not function properly and I couldn't complete the warranty enrollment. I called a lady there in their office and told her the problem. She assured me they would enroll it for me, as she took all of my information. Well, that never happened, so I kept trying the online portal to no avail, and eventually called her back. She wondered why it hadn't been taken care of, and said she'd call me back with an answer. That was the last time I heard from anyone at Leica. Thank goodness the online registration portal eventually worked and i could get them registered. Leica's customer service continues to suck, royally, in light of what anyone else may say. It is absolutely pathetic. The Noctovid could be the greatest optically instrument every developed and I'd happily tell Leica to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I don't believe you are wrong at all. I just want to understand why you like the Noctivid and then maybe I will try one. I need to be convinced.;)

I joined this forum in 2009 and you were an long time member with lots of experience back then. I was avid in following this forum for a few years back then, reading everyone's opinion, buying and trying all kinds of alpha bins. What I discovered was that there was no perfect bin, I'm sure all of what we call Alpha manufactures pull out all the stops to achieve perfection, but compromises must be made.

I actually approached the hobby predisposed to want a Swarovski, most of my well heeled hunting buddies had an EL or SLC. After trying Zeiss, Nikon< Swaro and Leicas of all sizes and powers, I narrowed it down to a 8x42 Ultravid BR and a Swaro 8.5x42 EL. My local store let me take a sample of each home for the weekend. I spent hours looking through both pair, in all conditions, near and far, full light, twilight. I ended up liking the Leica a little better, but even then I noticed the pros and cons of each bin. That said, I'm sure I would have been very happy if I'd gone with the EL's.

Another thing I discovered about myself was that, never being happy with what I've got, always wanting the next small improvement, took away from my enjoyment in actually using what I had. For a few years I obsessed about every newly introduced bid and actually bought a few. I'm not rich, so paying as much as a new car (1960's prices), for a pair of binoculars is a big deal. I finally took a hiatus from the forum, quit analyzing and just started using my bins. I found that I was perfectly happy with my imperfect bins.

I think you are well versed on the Leica look, and it just isn't your cup of tea. That's fine, I respect and understand your opinion, variety is the spice of life.

I joined this forum in 2009 and you were an long time member with lots of experience back then. I was avid in following this forum for a few years back then, reading everyone's opinion, buying and trying all kinds of alpha bins. What I discovered was that there was no perfect bin, I'm sure all of what we call Alpha manufactures pull out all the stops to achieve perfection, but compromises must be made.

I actually approached the hobby predisposed to want a Swarovski, most of my well heeled hunting buddies had an EL or SLC. After trying Zeiss, Nikon< Swaro and Leicas of all sizes and powers, I narrowed it down to a 8x42 Ultravid BR and a Swaro 8.5x42 EL. My local store let me take a sample of each home for the weekend. I spent hours looking through both pair, in all conditions, near and far, full light, twilight. I ended up liking the Leica a little better, but even then I noticed the pros and cons of each bin. That said, I'm sure I would have been very happy if I'd gone with the EL's.

Another thing I discovered about myself was that, never being happy with what I've got, always wanting the next small improvement, took away from my enjoyment in actually using what I had. For a few years I obsessed about every newly introduced bid and actually bought a few. I'm not rich, so paying as much as a new car (1960's prices), for a pair of binoculars is a big deal. I finally took a hiatus from the forum, quit analyzing and just started using my bins. I found that I was perfectly happy with my imperfect bins.

I think you are well versed on the Leica look, and it just isn't your cup of tea. That's fine, I respect and understand your opinion, variety is the spice of life.
I am not really well versed on Leica as I have not tried their latest and greatest the Noctivid. I was trying to garner some opinions on it on this thread to see if I should give one a go. That is encouraging that you chose the Ultravid over the EL because owning the EL 8.5x42 SV FP I know it is a fine binocular. What in particular made you choose the Ultravid over the EL? Optics, handling, ergonomics or size. Have you had any warranty issues with Leica's where you had to have them serviced? jgraider in the above post who I really trust seems to have had some bad experiences with their warranty department. I recently tried the Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 and I was impressed outside of the fact that the eye cups were a little short for the eye relief for me resulting in blackouts. How are the eye cups on the Ultravid for you?

I finally took a hiatus from the forum, quit analyzing and just started using my bins. I found that I was perfectly happy with my imperfect bins.

Hello John,

Yes, I feel the same way about my Zeiss 8x32 FL. It works for me and still works for me after thirteen years. I have bought a few binoculars since acquiring the Zeiss: a 10x, a 7x and a 6.5x, if I carry one glass, it is the Zeiss. The 7x was a mistake based on what turned out to be inadequate reviews on this forum.

That is not to write that I have no interest if Leica would introduce an 8x32 Noctivid or if Zeiss introduced an 8x32 SF. At the time of purchase the FL suited me more than a Leica BN or the Nikon 8x32 SE, as the FL combined light weight, a better field of view and more than adequate eye relief. However, the self styled experts on this forum may not be experts and they may suffer from the belief that their needs are congruent with the needs of others.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back