• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitch (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hello Everyone
I had a mini twitch yesterday, and had brilliant views of a Pectoral Sandpiper at Sence Valley Leicestershire. It is so nice to have such a good bird within ten miles of home.

George

Hi George,

Aren't they so very beautiful and so worthy of a twitch too. Certainly one of our favourite Waders. Great to see you here George.

Adey Baker said:
Here's the bird in question, which was very approachable:

I went to see this bird and think I must have ended up in the wrong place!
I walked along a track by a water treatment plant that took me to a hide owned by the LROS which overlooked 2 pools.

Where was it in relation to Sence Valley Forest car park?

Regards

Dave

Ruth Daniel said:
....quite a poser was it then? lol!!

Yes, we approached it cautiously using what bit of cover there was, but by just squatting-down out in the open it would walk along in front of you with no apparent concern at all!

Not unusual in a vagrant North American wader (unless it's with a flock of other birds that are a bit flighty) - I remember years ago watching a couple of Buff-breasted Sandpipers together with a Baird's Sandpiper on a dis-used airfield in west Wales and they were parading up and down in front of several cameras clicking away!

DJW said:
I went to see this bird and think I must have ended up in the wrong place!
I walked along a track by a water treatment plant that took me to a hide owned by the LROS which overlooked 2 pools.

Where was it in relation to Sence Valley Forest car park?

Regards

Dave

On this link: http://www.lros.org.uk/sencevalley.htm there's a map of the site. The 'gated road' that was mentioned on the various information websites is the most northerly 'path' shown. The entrance is just a little way past the carpark right next to the 30mph sign. If the gate is open then you can drive along the track to where the pool in question comes into view on your right. The pool is the most northerly one shown on the map. There's a stile over the fence taking you to the pool.

The bird can get in the rushes at the back of the pool at times making it difficult to find if it's not out in the open, but it does walk more or less all around the pool, eventually.

Don't know whether anyone's been for it today, yet - it's been very gloomy here, with 100% cloud cover all day, so far.

George Garner said:
Hello Everyone
I had a mini twitch yesterday, and had brilliant views of a Pectoral Sandpiper at Sence Valley Leicestershire. It is so nice to have such a good bird within ten miles of home.

George
Hi George,had a mini twitch myself two weeks ago-Sept 19th-to see the PecSand at North Cave Wetlands. Only a few miles from Hull and chance to look up the South Cave Red Kites and Buzzards....smashing!
Cheers Chris (no relation!)​

Adey Baker said:
On this link: http://www.lros.org.uk/sencevalley.htm there's a map of the site. The 'gated road' that was mentioned on the various information websites is the most northerly 'path' shown.

Thanks Adey. I was planning to take a day off and have another go for it but there have been no further reports today. Pec Sand is proving to be a bogey bird for me. I dread to think of the number of miles I have travelled in vain to see one. eg sunday around 250 miles.

Regards

Dave

DJW said:
Thanks Adey. I was planning to take a day off and have another go for it but there have been no further reports today. Pec Sand is proving to be a bogey bird for me. I dread to think of the number of miles I have travelled in vain to see one. eg sunday around 250 miles.

Regards

Dave

I'm sure you'll get one eventually! It's definitely been a good autumn for them this year but at this moment the only ones reported today on 'Birdguides' are in Lothian and Dorset!

I'm sure some of the others are still around but if no-one goes to check them out then we can never be certain whether they're there or not - at least a 'No sign so far today' -type report suggests that someone's actually looking for the bird in question

DJW said:

Regards

Dave

Well, Birdguides showed another photo of it taken yesterday, but they didn't report it in their news section!

Adey Baker said:
Well, Birdguides showed another photo of it taken yesterday, but they didn't report it in their news section!

Great!!

Made another attempt to see the long stayer at Staines reservoir instead but as usual the likely suspect was too far away to positively ID.

Regards

Dave

chrisgarner said:
Hi George,had a mini twitch myself two weeks ago-Sept 19th-to see the PecSand at North Cave Wetlands. Only a few miles from Hull and chance to look up the South Cave Red Kites and Buzzards....smashing!
Cheers Chris (no relation!)​

Hi Chris there are a lot of us about

The Sence Valley bird is still in the same spot - reported on Birdguides today at 12:30pm.

Mind you, it's raining heavily at the present time!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back