• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 77, which camera to use? (1 Viewer)

ocrease

I currently own a Leica APO 77 with a 20x - 60x eyepiece and am looking for a suitable digital camera and adaptor to be able to photograph birds. I was looking at the Leica Digilux 1 and the Leica adptor, but by reading the forums, I have heard that the results are not very pleasing. Which other cameras are good for use with the APO 77? All help will be apreciated.

Oliver

A good mate of mine uses the Digilux1 with his APO77 (take a look at Rob's shots on www.iombirding.co.uk) and he readily admits that he thinks the APO/Coolpix 4500 combination (as used by Pete on the same site) produces better results.

Thanks for the replies. The CP4500 does seem like the best camera on offer. Now I just have to find a suitable adaptor fit the scope (APO 77) Can you help me with this?

Thanks

I use the Eagle Eye adapter which fits straight onto the 4500 (see http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/). I have been using this for sometime now and am happy with it. It does allow you to get the camera lens close to the scope eyepiece.

I know there is an alternative from LCE and maybe someone will comment on this.

Good digiscoping!

Hi ocrease

I also now use the eagleeye adaptor and can highly reccommend it for the Leica. Ialso have the LCE adaptor which also works well but mine is over a year old and I found the 3 screws too small and fiddly, also easy to loose (lost 2 second time out).

I believe LCE have updated it now but if you go for it I would check the size of the screws.

Best of luck

Peter

I use the LCE adaptor,
I think its the smallest and cheapest out the lot
and only needs one screw tightening which is a bonus.
It does everything I've needed it to.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back