• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor reference (1 Viewer)

DJ66

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good Raptor book.
I recently moved to Bulgaria and I am having a torrid time trying to identify all the different raptors. I have submitted a few pics for help already on the site and keep finding that what I thought was 1 thing is something completely different. Thanks for your help
DJ
ps I think this is a black Kite

More pics as requested, told you I struggle with Raptors!

Last edited:
Yet another vote for Forsman's book.
I don't think your bird is a Black Kite -it appears to have feathered tarsi making it an Aquila or Booted Eagle but the body proportions & very pale iris are wrong for a dark-phase Booted Eagle. Could this be an (almost) adult Lesser Spotted Eagle (there still appears to be some pale streaking on the hindneck)???

sure sub-adult Aquila pomarina, not sure about age at 100% since we would need to check open wing in perfect light

ciao

Andrea Corso

The Forsman book is awesome.

I also own this one:
A Field Guide to the Raptors of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa (Paperback)
by William S. Clark (Author), N.John Schmitt (Illustrator)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Rapto...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203628352&sr=8-2

Forsman has pictures, Clark has drawings (and some pictures). Both are great. Clark is probably the world's leading expert on raptor identification.
I have both and love both.
The Collins Guide is also great, of course. But for difficult species, the more detailed raptors guides are better.

Markus

You could also try T & AD Poysers Flight Identification of European Raptors. Not sure if it is still in print, but it is an excellent guide.

I finally had some time to look at the pictures. I agree with the others. I looks like a Lesser Spotted Eagle to me. That's quite a rare bird!

Markus

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back