• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Wonderland (1 Viewer)

Yve_M said:
Wonderful photos Tammy - I too took photos of my screen door a couple of days ago when it was -36. Enjoying the grosbeaks and jays and redpolls here.

Hi Eve! Haven't seen you here for a while!
It was -39°C again this morning. I've heard that the long range forecast is for us to warm up to a toasty -10°C or so by the weekend and drop back to these temps... for the rest of January!! Yikes!!! Thank God this weather usually only lasts one month!
The pine grosbeaks are eating anything they can find at this point. I refill the platform feeders for them 3 or 4 times a day in this cold. The woodpeckers are really chowing through the suet too. They need the power, I guess!

KCFoggin said:
Wow Tammie, it truly is a winter wonderland. Call me crazy but this is the stuff I miss. A lot!!

KC, I don't blame you. I could never live somewhere that didn't get winter. We enjoy it, oddly enough! Where did you live before that you had winter like this? I know you don't get it now but your area must be beautiful too?!

Hi Tammie: yes I don't get to visit BF very often these days since I accepted a job in September. The deep freeze has left here for now - yes I heard that forecast for the rest of January too! Our feeders empty pretty fast as well. On December 5 we had a pair of evening grosbeaks drop in but they haven't returned. They are so pretty - such a bright spot among our darker birds. Mrs. Woody (downy) visits our deep dish feeders and loves to throw the seeds all around - I should get her some more suet.

Yve_M said:
Hi Tammie: yes I don't get to visit BF very often these days since I accepted a job in September. The deep freeze has left here for now - yes I heard that forecast for the rest of January too! Our feeders empty pretty fast as well. On December 5 we had a pair of evening grosbeaks drop in but they haven't returned. They are so pretty - such a bright spot among our darker birds. Mrs. Woody (downy) visits our deep dish feeders and loves to throw the seeds all around - I should get her some more suet.

Hi Eve,
I always have at least 2 suet feeders on the go for the various woodpeckers and nuthatches that show up. Sometimes, the chickadees and whiskey jacks eat them too.
I have a female downy hit a window here yesterday and she was pretty stunned. But, within 10 minutes she flew to a tree and proceeded to get into a scrap with her hubby! :) First time I've ever held a woodpecker. I wouldn't dare leave her on the ground in these temperatures... it was -27°C at the time. When I picked her up tho', I couldn't believe the heat that came off her! Wow! They are toasty!
I certainly hope you get more evening grosbeaks again (Larry will be jealous!) I don't have too many this winter either... only around 7-10. A lot less compared to last winter when I had close to 50! The pine grosbeaks are making up for the low numbers now tho'.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back