• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Far south Chile (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
A couple of questions, one of which is repeated from another thread:

How much time should I spend up near Torres del Paine compared to Tierra del Fuego? See this thread for the day plan I have, but basically, I expect to use one day driving up to TdP, stay one or two nights exploring the park and surroundings, and if I spend two, will then have two days left for the visit to TdF and return to Punta Arenas. Should I limit myself to one night in the park and have the second in Puerto Natales so that I am closer to the Tierra del Fuego next day?

Secondly: We are two people traveling of an age where in room bath is something we want. We have not yet made reservation for hotels in Torres del Paine, but should we pay an arm and a leg for the places inside the park boundaries or is the slightly less expensive Mirador Del Paine Hosteria Hotel OK? It claims to be on the border of the park.

Thanks
Niels

A couple of comments now that we are back:

We stayed at Diego de Almagro in Punta Arenas, in a room looking out to the Magellan strait. This was a really good place for seabirds, with Royal Albatross and Southern Giant Petrel seen from the room, just to mention two. I assume that standing on the promenade below could be just as good but less comfortable ;)

In Torres del Paine, we ended up in the Hosteria Pehoe, the one located on a little island in a lake. Great view and reasonably central location for what we wanted.

five days does not seem nearly enough for a visit to the region!

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back