• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any feedback on the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G lens (1 Viewer)

LCBird569

I have a D90 and I'm currently using the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens. I'm taking some pretty good bird pictures but I want to make a significant upgrade. I have a friend that's using a AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G. I think he paid around $9,000 for his lens but I was hoping to spend less. I was also wanting a lighter weight lens. I'm new to DSLR photography so comparing the technical specifications one lens to another is confusing at best. I'm looking at the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G lens as an option. Anyone using this lens for photographing birds? Any reqrets?

Never used the 200/2 lens but it looks like a big heavy expensive lens that's a little on the short side. A 300/4 or 300/2.8 would to me, make more sense.

The 300/4 is lightweight, easily handholdable, and extremely sharp even with a 1.4 teleconverter.I would imagine it would be a big improvement on the zoom you have. Nikon's best birding lens IMHO. It doesn't have VR though, and autofocus is slow for a AFS lens, especially with the teleconverter on.

For improved autofocus and VR, the 300/2.8 is the one to go for. Heavier, and much more expensive, and might need a tripod or a monopod.

I have a D90 and I'm currently using the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens. I'm taking some pretty good bird pictures but I want to make a significant upgrade. I have a friend that's using a AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G. I think he paid around $9,000 for his lens but I was hoping to spend less. I was also wanting a lighter weight lens. I'm new to DSLR photography so comparing the technical specifications one lens to another is confusing at best. I'm looking at the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G lens as an option. Anyone using this lens for photographing birds? Any reqrets?

This lens won't give you enough reach for birds. As suggested you would be better off with the 300/4 AFS plus 1.4x or 300/2.8 plus 1.7x.
Neil.

This is the information I needed. I had suspected that this lens didn't have the reach I need but was not sure. Thanks for the input!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back