• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ham Wall, Somerset this morning (1 Viewer)

Had a couple of hours to spare this morning so took a wander down at Ham Wall RSPB Reserve near Glastonbury. Wasn't expecting much but one of the first things I saw was a Great White Egret no more than about 20 yards away and got some nice pics. :t: About 20 minutes later, I was in a hide watching a group of Wigeon and a pair of Shovelers when I was aware of something in flight out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a Glossy Ibis which circled and landed no more than 15 yards from me! Another great photo opportunity and definitely not something I could have expected on Christmas Eve.:t::t: Not bad for 45 minutes.

Attachments

• GWE.jpg
    GWE.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 58
  • GI.jpg
    GI.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 63
Its a cracking reserve..........I was there in spring and had a number of Great White Egrets, several Bitterns, Hobby's, Marsh Harriers, but missed the Glossy Ibis and Night Heron present.

Ive also had Little Bittern there.

Yes, it's certainly a great place to be in the spring, there's so much going on there with Great White Egrets and Bitterns nesting there every year now as well as the resident Marsh Harriers and many other visiting species. I try and get down there a couple of times a week during April & May work permitting and I'm lucky enough to be only a 20 minute drive away but it's never dull.

It's a great place. Is that Great White coming into breeding condition already?

It seems a bit early. Having said that, I have probably seen Great Whites at Ham Wall with a greenish tinge to the lores during every month outside of breeding season and there doesn't seem to be any hint of colour change in the beak or legs on this one so maybe this is just one that happens to keep that greenish tinge. I guess you never know though, we do seem to be having more spring-like temperatures at the moment - currently 13 degrees here. Last May I took the pic below of one in full breeding colours.

Attachments

• Great White in Breeding Colours.jpg
    Great White in Breeding Colours.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back