Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular bargains

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 373 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 08:11   #3501
fazalmajid

I will preempt BruceH: OpticsPlanet has a 14% off sale on premium binoculars (PREM14).

The Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 comes down to $645 plus a $100 gift card. Too bad they don't sell Swarovski.
Old Saturday 17th February 2018, 19:39   #3502
Coin Hound

Found a used Vortex Viper 8x42

SWFA has one on their Samplelist for $350--NIB
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 18:53   #3503
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Optics Planet President's Day 10% Coupon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmajid View Post
I will preempt BruceH: OpticsPlanet has a 14% off sale on premium binoculars (PREM14).

The Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 comes down to $645 plus a $100 gift card. Too bad they don't sell Swarovski.

Still good till Feb. 20th, 2018. It is limited to a small group of binoculars. For example, it applies to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42 but not to the 10X42. The added gift card applies to both.

In the meantime .......

Optics Planet has a President's Day 10% off coupon code of EMAIL on orders of $50 or more. Monday, February 19 12:00 AM  Thursday, February 22 12:00 AM CST.

It does stack for those who qualify for VIP pricing. VIP prices applies to some but not all models. A good example is the Nikon Monarch 8X42 HG. Normal pricing is $979.95 but after VIP pricing of $869.99 and the discount, the price is $782.99 with free shipping. I do not know how to find out which items have VIP pricing other than hit or miss and if there are any additional qualifications for VIP pricing other than a log on account.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th February 2018, 19:22   #3504
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Sport Optics Coupon Codes

Sport Optics in LA has a couple of coupon codes going.

http://www.sportoptics.com/

EURO15 gets 15% off at checkout on Zeiss products. No expiration date shown. It worked on a 8X42 Zeiss SF and a Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42 that I tested. The problem is that inventory is limited so not all models are in stock. It would be a good idea to call about models not currently in stock.

OUTDOOR12 gets 12% off at checkout and it applies to some but not all models. Valid Now - March 31, 2017. It worked on a Nikon Monarch HG 8X42 and a Monarch 7 10X42 and also a Vortex Razor. It also worked on Zeiss but the EURO15 is a better deal. It did not work on a Leica Noctivid. Again, out of stock status may be a limitation.

Old Monday 19th February 2018, 19:23   #3505
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

VIP pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Still good till Feb. 20th, 2018. It is limited to a small group of binoculars. For example, it applies to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42 but not to the 10X42. The added gift card applies to both.

In the meantime .......

Optics Planet has a President's Day 10% off coupon code of EMAIL on orders of $50 or more. Monday, February 19 12:00 AM  Thursday, February 22 12:00 AM CST.

It does stack for those who qualify for VIP pricing. VIP prices applies to some but not all models. A good example is the Nikon Monarch 8X42 HG. Normal pricing is $979.95 but after VIP pricing of $869.99 and the discount, the price is $782.99 with free shipping. I do not know how to find out which items have VIP pricing other than hit or miss and if there are any additional qualifications for VIP pricing other than a log on account.
OK, I just had a chat with a rep from Optics Planet, and to qualify for VIP status, you must have 3 orders that have shipped! Mystery solved! I do not qualify for VIP pricing-in fact it says no completed orders on my account, but I do have a box from OP in my bedroom, so I know I ordered and kept something! But it was probably a while ago too, because I don't remember...but could have been my Sightron BSII 8x32. Oh well, guess I'll have to start all over with them now.

Or not!

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Monday 19th February 2018 at 19:33. Reason: editing

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 23:40   #3506
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

I do, I do! Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
I think you will be happy with the Vanguards....Did you get the ED or EDII edition...I have one of the 10.5x45 ED that they discontinued when they came out with the EDII....they are bright, sharp, well made....the EDII is supposed to control CA better than the ED model....but the minor CA I see in mine now and then isn't really distracting.......
Yes, Mr Gunut, you were right! I ordered the VG Endeavor ED 10x42 yesterday, and I do like them a lot so far!

That $80 rebate got the better of me, and I decided to go for it. It took them a whole day to get here from B&H, due to our close proximity-but they do include expedited shipping, which I prefer if possible-less to go wrong. I just got them this afternoon, and the little time I've used them, I am very impressed!

I think I saw a little CA on some very bright reflective surfaces, but it was too bright to keep them there to really evaluate it-but it certainly wasn't overwhelming, hardly. If I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't have seen it. That might not hold true for other times like tree branches or crows, or snow and shadow, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Otherwise, really nice sharpness and contrast from what I've compared them to quickly, a Tract Toric and Bushnell Legend M, both 10x42's and seeing the same indoor view of our alley (no, not valley, alley!) on a very sunny and warm day, and facing the sun. The temperature in my bedroom was 79 deg F, and 42% humidity. The focus wheel worked very well-very smooth. So yes, I do like them, very much, especially for $154 after the rebate, they are another bargain worthy of consideration. They certainly aren't 32's-they weigh enough not to be called lightweights, and they aren't as compact as most 32's, which you prefer, you say, Mr Crow. But I think some 42's are a better deal because it's easier to make a better large bin than a small one that performs well for the same money, as I found when I went looking for 10x32's. I ended up with the Cabelas Instinct/Meopta Meostar B1, and it was the only one I tried that did it for me-after I made the leap in price, even on clearance.

But the recent full sized bin bargains I bought-Bushnell Legend M's (8x&10x), and now the Vanguard Endeavor ED in 10x, show that if you wait for a closeout deal or even demo on recent bins, you can do pretty darned well if you aren't expecting it all. Noted, the extra pin cushion in the Bush's and Vang's, which I don't really care about or hardly notice, but the Tract Torics are better, and may just have something extra in the view, that I couldn't put my finger on just yet, though it may just be extra color due to the hunting nature of the line. Either way, they all have some excellent optics to be appreciated.

But, the Vanguards may well stay and take a place of honor, for the simple facts of how nice they are, and also my first sighting with them was something I have been waiting to see for a long time now; 2 police cars parked in the alley at my local drug dealer's house this afternoon, yay! So I stayed there in my bedroom watching, just to see what transpired, but no one went with them when they returned to their cars, unfortuanetly. Despite the unfortunate scene and outcome, it was a great view for a while, as I was hoping for the best. The Endeavors held up their end though, and I was impressed with the contrast and apparent sharpness of them, looking around the ceety-scape here, ground and sky. The $80 rebate lasts another month, so it may be worth checking out yourself. That rebate applies to a range of Vanguard bins, not just the ED, by the way.

Oh, and I don't like the Vanguard case either, the full zip around the front thingy, but I ordered a Zeiss cordura case that is very nice from B&H at the same time, and all 3 of my 10x42's fit in it fine. Nicer way to carry them too, with loops to hang it at your side, or belt loops (better have a strong belt!).

Last edited by bluespiderweb : Wednesday 21st February 2018 at 01:02.

Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 00:02   #3507
gunut
Registered Offender

Barry;
But its unethical to carry a lesser brand in a Zeiss case....at least it was B4 the diafun and terra .....but maybe the times they are a changing.....

BTW...glad you like them , hard to go wrong at the current going price for the Vanguard ED or the Legend M....and if you decide you don't like them you can always gift them to that drug dealer.....
Old Wednesday 28th February 2018, 22:52   #3508
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Tract Torric 10X42 $100 Reduction

Received an e-mail from Tract that said the following:

"As we prepare for the next generation of TORIC 10x binoculars, were offering you an opportunity to get $100 Off a TORIC 10x42"

This drops the price from $664 to $564.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products...rs/toric-10x42

Looks like the Toric line is being revised and the current version is being sold out, at least in the 10X. No mention was made of the 8X42 Toric and it still is showing a price of $654 on the web site.

In order to not side track the Bargains thread, I posted a separate thread for any discussion on what looks like a new Toric .......

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....77#post3684777

Old Thursday 1st March 2018, 19:12   #3509
Xlr8n

Look's like Bushnell is running a 30% rebate in the form of a pre-paid Visa card on all bino's purchased from March 1 thru March 30th 2018.

As an example, if you were to buy the 8x42 Legend M's via ebay from Rogers at the $152.99 clearance price, you'll get a Visa card back for $45.90!

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...march-2018.pdf

A $399 binocular for $107.09!

As advertised on Roger's website:

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...inoculars.html

Last edited by Xlr8n : Thursday 1st March 2018 at 20:31.
Old Wednesday 7th March 2018, 13:12   #3510
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Leica UVHD+ 7X42

Was just looking around for 7X42s for Barry and stumbled upon this:

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-40092-U...rds=leica+7x42

That's the lowest price I've ever seen for one of these, NIB.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 05:36   #3511
black crow

Has anyone here ever used HIGH POINT SCIENTIFIC CO. to make a binocular purchase?
https://www.highpointscientific.com/...noculars-71380

They only carry binos from Celestron,Vanguard,Vortex Optics and William Optics. Their prices on the binos I'm interested in are far below what they are going for on AMAZON. $224 vs $297 on the Celestron Granite 9x33. I've never seen this company before but they seem to carry a lot of telescopes and accessories and look legit.

That's a pretty good price as I've seen these going for well over $300 at other places. I'm tempted but I'd like to know if they are legit or hard to work with or any of the many problems that could come from buying from an unknown. Thanks.
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 08:59   #3512
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out
BF Supporter 2018

Hiya BC! I think some have used them here before, but, if you look at the page you linked, it says the Granite 9x33 ED have been discontinued by Celestron, and High Point is out of stock (no add to cart button either). I looked around a bit too, and Amazon does seem the cheapest that still have them, if you're set on them.

Besides that, High Point's return policy reads that returns must be in un-opened condition, or it is subject to a restocking fee. I don't know how you look at binoculars without opening them! But some places are sticklers, and then sometimes it's just to limit buy and try buying, I imagine.

Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 15:50   #3513
black crow

OK I didn't notice that. How strange as I thought I looked and didn't see an out of stock. And that settles it then. However I did looked them up and they are A+ rated at BBB and have a lot of likes on facebook.
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 18:33   #3514
paul2013

Highpoint

Highpoint is a good dealer. I've made several astronomy purchases there. They can be a little touchy about non-defective returns, but at their low margins I understand that.
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 20:22   #3515
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Was just looking around for 7X42s for Barry and stumbled upon this:

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-40092-U...rds=leica+7x42

That's the lowest price I've ever seen for one of these, NIB.
That IS a good deal! And, it's fulfilled by Amazon.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 9th March 2018, 17:38   #3516
black crow

OK this is a little different. I don't even know the brand but I saw some decent ratings on Amazon. What's interesting is these are 10x50 with a 8.5 degree FOV. These would make outstanding Astronomy binos if the quality is up to what some reviews said. They sell for $169 on Amazon but this site has them on sale for $79. One thing to note is they have a 30 day return policy but only on unopened products. That's how it reads to me anyway. I haven't actually talked to them. I might try a pair myself for sky viewing. Also note a very short eye relief of 7mm so not for those who wear glasses I guess.
https://www.highpointscientific.com/...m_medium=email

Last edited by black crow : Friday 9th March 2018 at 17:41.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 18:20   #3517
gunut
Registered Offender

only real problem I see is 7mm eye relief.....not all folks can accommodate that

Last edited by gunut : Friday 9th March 2018 at 18:29.
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 18:30   #3518
Josh Exmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Look's like Bushnell is running a 30% rebate in the form of a pre-paid Visa card on all bino's purchased from March 1 thru March 30th 2018.

As an example, if you were to buy the 8x42 Legend M's via ebay from Rogers at the $152.99 clearance price, you'll get a Visa card back for $45.90!

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...march-2018.pdf

A $399 binocular for $107.09!

As advertised on Roger's website:

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...inoculars.html
Today (Fri 3/9) Only, ebay is running a 20% off coupon on any item. The Legend M 8x42's have gone up to 176 again, but with the coupon I paid a few cents over $140 shipped. Assuming Bushnell honors the 30% rebate I should get them for under $98. eBay coupon code is PSPRING20 .
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 18:47   #3519
[email protected]
Forum Member

Somebody mentioned Optics for Birding as a pretty good place to buy optics. I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend them. I purchased a Swarovski compact binocular case that didn't work out and it was a major fiasco trying to return it for a refund. Never again!
Old Friday 9th March 2018, 20:54   #3520
gunut
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Exmoor View Post
Today (Fri 3/9) Only, ebay is running a 20% off coupon on any item. The Legend M 8x42's have gone up to 176 again, but with the coupon I paid a few cents over $140 shipped. Assuming Bushnell honors the 30% rebate I should get them for under $98. eBay coupon code is PSPRING20 .
Josh...whenever you hear of an E-Bay coupon please post it here.....for some reason I don't get notified through E-Bay....you just saved me $70....or cost me $280...according to how you look at it....
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 21:20   #3521
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Optics Planet Lucky Days 10% Off Coupon

Optics Planet has a 10% off checkout coupon code of LUCK on orders of $50 or more. Offer ends 3/18/18 at 11:59 PM CDT. It may not work on some items due to vendor restrictions.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/g-spcem...-10off318.html

If the Viglink page appears, scroll part way down and then click on the blue line that says Continue to Optics Planet.

Old Friday 16th March 2018, 23:59   #3522
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
Josh...whenever you hear of an E-Bay coupon please post it here.....for some reason I don't get notified through E-Bay....you just saved me $70....or cost me $280...according to how you look at it....
Nut: If you get an Ebay coupon, like this one, it is an individual thing.

That means just sent to users.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 18:31   #3523
Josh Exmoor

Another eBay coupon. 15% this time. PSPRINGTIME until 7pm PST tonight.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 18:35   #3524
Upland

Styrka is revising their S5 line and there are closeout deals on the current ones: Sierra Trading Post has the 10x42 for $199.99. Optics Planet shows the 8x42 for $193.99 but when I checked on the 10x42 model yesterday the website showed available but it was not, so not sure about the 8x42. Saving the best for last Adorama has the 8x32 for $99.99! I checked out this model at a local store that was selling them for $299 and was impressed with both the optics and build quality. Only spent a short time outside with them but they had nice brightness and sharpness, showing lots of detail in the mountains. They only had the 8x32 but based on them I ordered the 10x42 from STP. Worst case scenario is that I’ll return them and pay for return shipping.

A couple other things to note: Since I didn’t know much about Styrka I called their CS and had a nice conversation with a gentleman there. He told everything will be the same on the new S5s but they’ve upgraded the coatings. He also told me they have not only a no fault warranty but also will clean and tune up your binos for free every year if you sent them in. You pay to get them there and they pay return shipping. Sounds like a good deal to me. He also told me Styrka is a division of Celestron and that their sales have been quite good so I’m not too worried about them going out of business. So I’m glad I passed up on a pair of Alpens on closeout and am looking forward to checking out the Styrkas. I don’t check in here a lot but will give a quick review of the 10x42s when I get them. Finally I’m not an optics expert so will not guarantee that everyone here will like these but I liked the 8x32 and thought they were a very good deal at the closeout price.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 19:01   #3525
Xlr8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Exmoor View Post
Another eBay coupon. 15% this time. PSPRINGTIME until 7pm PST tonight.
Just used it on a set of Vortex Viper HD's in 6x32 flavor. Saved me $50. Funny thing is I was thinking of buying the glasses this morning and decided to hold off to see if I could find any better deal, then I heard an ad on the radio at lunchtime for the Ebay deal. I've never heard a radio ad for Ebay until today??

Needless to say I decided to pull the trigger.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: