• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke DSLR adaptor (1 Viewer)

TheGrumps

Hi
I've been reading quite a lot of posts here but have not found one that answers my confusion.
I'm looking at the Hawke DSLR adaptor which is simply a device that screws into a Hawke scope and it embodies the eyepiece. There are no additional optical elements. The DSLR, without lens, attaches to the other end of the adaptor. So you have: scope, eyepiece, camera (the adaptor just holds them all tightly together).
Talking to Hawke they say that the normal operation of the scope is unaffected, and just by attaching the camera it will also be in focus.
I was under the impression that this technique is used for digiscoping with a camera and lens. How does a DSLR without lens achieve focus?
My knowledge of optical systems may be letting me down here.
Thanks for any help.

Hi
Basically the scope acts like a manual lens or even a auto lens but in manual focus mode, I have tried it on my old Opticron scope and SLR but found it rather tricky to get the focus just spot on. I have not tried it since on my new Hawke scope but in principle as long as the scope is in focus and that by attaching the SLR you don't alter the position of the scope then Bob's your Uncle as they say.
Hope this helps.
Tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back