• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Just to draw attention to google Myspace. Have recently been advised to set one up with a view to displaying and selling artwork as well as some photos.
Have just recently set one up, but only just got it operational and its only looking half decent at this stage. Still have a lot of tweaking to do yet. Will leave a permanent link to it on my blog.
Link below...

http://www.myspace.com/alandltn
Anyway of getting work out there to be viewed can only be a help I figure, this being a free service can do no harm...
That HTML stuff gives me a headache though!!

Last edited:
Just how much of a technophile does one have to be to create a 'Myspace' Alan? - Yours is good, by the way (as if it would be any other).

how did you manage to get it looking so good and to do all those things?, my Myspace is clearly bland in comparison!

Been a while! Finally managed an early morning trip to Tyresta National Park and came up trumps with incredible views of Nightjar. Flushed it off the ground, was amazed that it only flew a few metres and resettled on the ground. This is one of the birds of the year for me to date, stunning views of a species that rarely allows this kind of view, it was just plain jammy if I'm honest! Infuriatingly had no camera!!
Sketched through the scope before I left it, was worried in case it had young nearby, though seemed very confiding and not at all anxious. Also here are Green Woodpecker and Wood warbler thumbnail...
Been working too hard, have a bit of time off this week though and am looking forward to getting out again...Will be bringing the camera this time, in fact I'll never leave it at home again. Last time I did I had Pine Grosbeak! AARRRGgghhhh!

Attachments

• aabbnightjar.jpg
    aabbnightjar.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 112
  • aabbnjhead.jpg
    aabbnjhead.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 120
  • aabbnjeye.jpg
    aabbnjeye.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 106
  • aabbgreenwood.jpg
    aabbgreenwood.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 109
  • aabbwoodw.jpg
    aabbwoodw.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
You should always leave your camera at home Alan - you'd get more time to spend doing drawings, and if they're all as good as these - phenominal!
Exquisite drawings of a very elusive creature (only ever seen and heard them at dusk, in flight).

I too take my hat off to those that can draw so good, I doodle a bit but they generally end up looking more like cheap effects from a 'B' monster movie 8-P

Been a while. Have been sidetracked mainly by work, working through the summer covering holidays for others so I can have a nice September/October birding! Got out to angarn today and passage well on the way, looks like it is going to be a great year for waders like Curlew Sandpiper, Little stint, Ruff etc. Really high success rate at breeding this year and lots of birds moving now. Had lovely party of summer adult Curlew Sandpipers,posted below, some Little Stints, early juv posted below. Also Great flight views of Caspian Terns over the marsh, fab birds they are too.

Attachments

• askcurlsand.jpg
    askcurlsand.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 90
  • asklittlestint.jpg
    asklittlestint.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 101
  • askcaspian1.jpg
    askcaspian1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 99
  • askcaspiantern2.jpg
    askcaspiantern2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 97
More sketches from this morning. Green Sandpiper posted first, lots present today, along with Wood Sandpipers. Red Backed Shrike juveniles seemingly everywhere at this time of year, so co-operative you just have to stop and draw them! Wren scolding these constantly, may have had a late brood in the undergrowth. Juvenile Sedge Warbler was unusually cooperative for the species, very different bird to the darker adullts.

Attachments

• askgreensand.jpg
    askgreensand.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 91
  • askredbshrike.jpg
    askredbshrike.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 92
  • askwren.jpg
    askwren.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 102
  • asksedgewarbler.jpg
    asksedgewarbler.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 103
it has been a while, but worth the wait, excellent as usual, but the green sand is particularly good, as is the wren.

A few more. spotted Redshank, which flew away on me and is therefore incomplete, which was a shame as it was in moult and I wanted to get details on it. Ruff female which was confiding too, often waders are very shy here so nice to get some fairly close to you...

Attachments

• askspottedredshank.jpg
    askspottedredshank.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 103
  • askruff1.jpg
    askruff1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 98
  • askruff2.jpg
    askruff2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The last few. Wheatear male, very quick sketch this one. Using A3 cartridge pad today which was brilliant as it encourages you to work freely and on a larger scale. Was not so bothered to finish drawings and got a lot more done than normal just sitting in one spot and drawing what came to me rather than running around looking for that better bird and not getting anything done! Lapwing male, also very rough and female Whinchat also.

Attachments

• asklapwing.jpg
    asklapwing.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 88
  • askwheatear.jpg
    askwheatear.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 88
  • askwhinfemale.jpg
    askwhinfemale.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
A few more. spotted Redshank, which flew away on me and is therefore incomplete, which was a shame as it was in moult and I wanted to get details on it. Ruff female which was confiding too, often waders are very shy here so nice to get some fairly close to you...

A big yes for the Spotted Red- I especially like that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back