• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The next Alpha technology - electronics will be the next frontier for alpha glass (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I visited a fair of historical photographic instruments and binoculars and telescopes.
I found a 6x20 Zeiss porro from 1900 in perfect condition: beautiful instrument: worked perfectly well. Images nice and clean. In 120 years we gained a lot in optical performance that is obvious eg due to improved optical glass and the application of coatings.
In our country there is a complete uprising of farmers, builders, traffic users etc. because of the coming restrictions to farming, building and traffic because of all environmental problems. We as human beings succeeded to destroy a lot of our earth resources, polluted our oceans, destroyed forests etc. and exploited humans for the delving of rare earth metals to construct new electronic equipment a lot of which is not needed and after using it for a short time it is thrown away so one can buy another electronic toy. In that light this discussion is kind of special, since we really do not need electronic supported binoculars for civilian use in my opinion.
Gijs van Ginkel

Yesterday I visited a fair of historical photographic instruments and binoculars and telescopes.
I found a 6x20 Zeiss porro from 1900 in perfect condition: beautiful instrument: worked perfectly well. Images nice and clean. In 120 years we gained a lot in optical performance that is obvious eg due to improved optical glass and the application of coatings.
In our country there is a complete uprising of farmers, builders, traffic users etc. because of the coming restrictions to farming, building and traffic because of all environmental problems. We as human beings succeeded to destroy a lot of our earth resources, polluted our oceans, destroyed forests etc. and exploited humans for the delving of rare earth metals to construct new electronic equipment a lot of which is not needed and after using it for a short time it is thrown away so one can buy another electronic toy. In that light this discussion is kind of special, since we really do not need electronic supported binoculars for civilian use in my opinion.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hear, hear Gijs - well said! Now stand by for the backlash!!

RB

No backlash from me, despite my being a self confessed polluter.

Unless we bring our aspirations way down and stop making billions, if not trillions of LEDS etc. humans are lost.
But the truth is that we are not going to change our ways.

Change will come when our Earth fights back.

B.

Sancho, you speak for many that are regular posters and experienced binocular users. I have a sense
and can tell this is a veteran crowd that post on here, many are happy with quality optics at all price ranges
and just like things the way they are.
I tried a Canon IS binocular some months ago, I did not comment on it, as I did not want to condemn it,
but it was not anything I was going to want or use. It was very unwieldy and I can see why Canon has not had
any traction or sales in binoculars.

Jerry

Imagine in 2026 your Alpha Leica’s have instant hyper accurate AF, advanced multi-axis image stabilization, a push with your pinky to capture a 172 mp hyper-resolution image, and an instant read-out available across the bottom of your view telling you the sub-species and sex of the bird the on-board software just scanned, all the while your image is glassed, or viewed in such a high resolution electronic viewfinderday.

And a one year warranty for electronic parts? :smoke:

Huh? How many boomers are in the workforce? 64-74 years old? 1945-1955.
It's not their world, it's subsequent generation's world. Do what you want.

You've got the baby boom generation off a bit. It's 1946-1964...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

As a boomer, I'm still in the workforce. I don't want electronics in my bins. Laser rangefinding technology has long been available in Leica binoculars. I've avoided owning a pair, and carry a separate Leica rangefinder if I need it.

You've got the baby boom generation off a bit. It's 1946-1964...

I guess I stand corrected. My understanding for all these years was that Boomers were born in the first decade after WWII.

Still, "Boomers" who missed the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, didn't experience the JFK assassination, or Martin Luther King and RFK assassinations, weren't given drills to dive under your desk in school for when the A Bomb goes off, the Sunday casualty reports from the Vietnam War, didn't have to register for the draft, the Woodstock period, Love Ins, Watergate, weren't driving during the Iran oil embargo, and came of age during disco just doesn't sound like the same generation. At all.

Last edited:
Sancho, you speak for many that are regular posters and experienced binocular users. I have a sense
and can tell this is a veteran crowd that post on here, many are happy with quality optics at all price ranges
and just like things the way they are.
I tried a Canon IS binocular some months ago, I did not comment on it, as I did not want to condemn it,
but it was not anything I was going to want or use. It was very unwieldy and I can see why Canon has not had
any traction or sales in binoculars.

Jerry
Hi Jerry!B :)
I actually have a pair if IS (I've owned them all except 18x50 at some stage). But they are a speciality item, I use them for seawatching. On a more general note, I've been haunting this forum for the best part of two decades, and the advent of amazing digital optics has been oft-heralded, but never really happened. Not even general-use IS, never mind digitally-enhanced viewing with embedded ID and recording. Any attempts to combine a viewing device with digi-recording have been laughable cheap junk, or one Zeiss scope that flopped miserably. How many birders of any generation have bought it?
And the technology is definitely available to do it, to combine all three in one device (emhanced viewing, recording, ID). It's just that there's no demand, or even requirement. ID-ing with one's own cerebral capabilities is the whole point of the exercise...with, occasionally, a Little Help From One's Friends, and a camera.
I think we have reached Peak Binocular, and just because something can be done with more complicated technology, it doesn't make the job simpler or represent any meaningful improvement. Like the guy's self-lacing shoes in the movie 'Back to the Future'. It can be done, but no-one needs or wants it.
It would be interesting to do a search here and on CN to see how many times in the last twenty years the Coming of digi-binos has been predicted.

P.S.- I dislike the whole marketing segregation of currently-surviving humanity into categories like 'Boomers', 'Millenials' etc. I was born in 1962, I teach kids aged 12 to 18, we're pretty much the same species, and future archaeologists will dig up our fossilised thumb bones or whatever and give us all the same scientific name. Meanwhile, because I look at BF and an Irish bird-sighting website, the Internet has been sending me adverts for Talking Caged Parrots. So much for clever technology.

Last edited:
I don't think you are wrong about the binocular device that you are describing. All the technology you list exists in one form or another. It's just about improving and putting the pieces together now. I mean, Swarovski did debut a prototype of a monocular with a built-in camera just a few months ago. Who knows if it will ever go into production, but I bet there would be a market for it - especially if the camera were incorporated into binoculars instead. And range finders and image stabilization have been around for a long time. And image recognition software is getting pretty good now. And Bluetooth is already good. And it is hard to imagine how binoculars could be improved significantly over the current alpha class.

As far as the glasses/scope combo, again the technology exists already it would just be about putting it together.

An example of this type of thing already exists in rifle scopes. Check out the Swarovski dS scope. With a single click of a button, the scope ranges the target, then places illuminated crosshairs at the correct position accounting for the ballistics of the gun that it is mounted to and the ammunition that gun is shooting. All that's missing is the wind calculation.

I just don't think these electronic viewers will take over the market. If anything they will exist in parallel with traditional optics. I think I will always want something that resembles modern binoculars and scopes over what you describe, and I'm a millennial. Who knows though, maybe you're right.

Also, your timeline strikes me as unrealistically aggressive.

I don't think you are wrong about the binocular device that you are describing. All the technology you list exists in one form or another. It's just about improving and putting the pieces together now. I mean, Swarovski did debut a prototype of a monocular with a built-in camera just a few months ago. Who knows if it will ever go into production, but I bet there would be a market for it - especially if the camera were incorporated into binoculars instead. And range finders and image stabilization have been around for a long time. And image recognition software is getting pretty good now. And Bluetooth is already good. And it is hard to imagine how binoculars could be improved significantly over the current alpha class.

As far as the glasses/scope combo, again the technology exists already it would just be about putting it together.

An example of this type of thing already exists in rifle scopes. Check out the Swarovski dS scope. With a single click of a button, the scope ranges the target, then places illuminated crosshairs at the correct position accounting for the ballistics of the gun that it is mounted to and the ammunition that gun is shooting. All that's missing is the wind calculation.

I just don't think these electronic viewers will take over the market. If anything they will exist in parallel with traditional optics. I think I will always want something that resembles modern binoculars and scopes over what you describe, and I'm a millennial. Who knows though, maybe you're right.

Also, your timeline strikes me as unrealistically aggressive.

Technology may easily get beyond physiology. But what then? So much of what is touted these days as making a binocular ... better is demonstrably beyond what the average observer can see or even cares about. Thus, we push reason into the realm of the nitnoid.

Today's world is full of knowledge but is running on empty when it comes to wisdom.

Knowledge teaches us that a tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable. But it is wisdom that teaches us not to put it into a fruit salad. :cat:

Bill

Knowledge teaches us that a tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable. But it is wisdom that teaches us not to put it into a fruit salad. :cat:

Bill

If only that same wisdom would keep pineapple off pizza.........

Lee

PS Nice line Bill!

As others have said bridge cameras (super zooms) already get used as spotting scopes that take pictures and video. They're image stabilised, some aren't too heavy and some pack quite small. The optics are very good on some.

I too would like to see duel EVFs built into one to get an enhanced emersive view. That one step with ergonomic design is all that's needed. The result wouldn't compete with regular binoculars, but would just allow enhanced viewing through the camera and be more comfy than 1 EVF. Good for open areas especially shorelines where spotting scopes are traditionally used.

So leave binoculars alone, but enhance already tech-heavy cameras to allow binocular viewing.

Imagine in 2026 your Alpha Leica’s have instant hyper accurate AF, advanced multi-axis image stabilization, a push with your pinky to capture a 172 mp hyper-resolution image, and an instant read-out available across the bottom of your view telling you the sub-species and sex of the bird the on-board software just scanned, all the while your image is glassed, or viewed in such a high resolution electronic viewfinder human eyes have long lost the ability to tell the difference. And for the really high magnifications, you’re just wearing an 8 oz. pair of glasses or goggles while the glass itself is on a silent motorized tripod next to you tracking everywhere you look and transmitting wirelessly real-time breathtaking imagery to your glasses.

Because of Boomer’s reluctance to adopt new technology, Boomer’s in the labor force are tamping down the economy’s overall productivity, according to a study by Moody's Analytics.. Published 11-7-19, reported by USA Today. Arguably we evidenced this a little in a discussion about future Duovid design when the cry went out twice for no electronics in future Duovid designs. But that’s incidental and not the,point.

Electronics must be and will eventually be the next frontier for alpha glass, when there is a market and when the technology is more than novel and truly revolutionizes the experience, most will never look back. This might be a part of drawing in the next generation of birders.

I have seen an article seven years ago, that the next big thing with optics will be to incorporate electronics, IS, etc. in the next five years. :) Nothing happened. The explanation is quite easy, that is my opinion: those equipments are too expensive to spread widely. Just check, what is about new Zeiss scopes, Nikon IS scopes, older Zeiss photoscope model, or how many SF will you see while birding out, etc.

The whole digital binocular thing has already been and gone :cat:
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics...l-recording-binoculars/dev-50v/specifications

Sensors in the latest mobile phones are about 3 times larger than this. Really you would be looking at two lenses around the size of that on the Sony RX 10 IV for 0.5x to 12x zoom. A little bit unwieldy to hold.
The top spec EVF's now offer twice the resolution (or somewhat less than that if you want a decent more relaxing framerate). There is still further to go.
You could put together quite a reasonable outfit with today's tech. Would make Alpha's seem cheap though .....

With Phablets now around 6" in height I'm waiting for some smart cookie to put 3 or 4 lenses at either end for some pretty nifty 3D effect binocular vision on a 4K display screen. :cat:

That should bring the horse and buggy drivers out of the woodwork again ! :-O

Chosun :gh:

I guess I stand corrected. My understanding for all these years was that Boomers were born in the first decade after WWII.

Still, "Boomers" who missed the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, didn't experience the JFK assassination, or Martin Luther King and RFK assassinations, weren't given drills to dive under your desk in school for when the A Bomb goes off, the Sunday casualty reports from the Vietnam War, didn't have to register for the draft, the Woodstock period, Love Ins, Watergate, weren't driving during the Iran oil embargo, and came of age during disco just doesn't sound like the same generation. At all.

Boomers are the generation born to the WW2 generation, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with sentimental cultural touchstones.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back