• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch for Arkansas! (1 Viewer)

ovenbird43

United States
Sunday afternoon I read on the local listserv that a Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch had been found at the visitor's center at Mt. Magazine State Park, the first record of this species in Arkansas. It's not often that a potential lifer shows up in my home state, and this one only a 2-hour drive away. I didn't have time to go on Sunday or yesterday, but since it was still being seen yesterday I figured it was worth a shot.

I left early this morning and arrived at Mt. Magazine around 7:30 am, with a thunderstorm looming ominously but so far only thundering and sprinkling. I found the bird within 10 minutes, foraging in the short grass beside the parking lot. Wow, that easy! I sat down on the pavement to watch and photograph the bird. It was busily chomping away at some small yellow asteraceous flowers, eating petals, sepals and all. As I sat quietly it made its way to within 1-2 meters of me... no binoculars needed for this bird!

The rain that soon followed sent me home earlier than I had planned, but the small bit of additional birding was fairly productive- Swainson's Thrushes were singing, a few small flocks of lingering Pine Siskins flew over, many warblers were active and vocal including Blackburnian, Tennessee, Hooded, Blackpoll, and Ovenbird. A stunning male Scarlet Tanager sang from an exposed perch, and the Rufous-crowned Sparrows were conspicuous and singing in their usual haunt- Arkansas' only reliable location for this species, considerably east of its main range.

Attachments

• rosy_finch_1.jpg
    rosy_finch_1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 57
  • rosy_finch_2.jpg
    rosy_finch_2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back