• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeding Woman gets a ASBO + Woodpigeons (1 Viewer)

SAFM

Hi everyone,
I have found this article on the bbc new website, have a read and then tell me what you think? I think that it is just stupidity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4790306.stm

Also I was at the dentist today and while I was waiting I spotted two woodpigeons preening each other, If I remember correctly this means that they are "courting" and are likely a pair, so something good came out of something fairly bad.

Hi Brian,
Just to let you know that I was out in the direction of the mystery bird and spotted it again yesterday and I am almost certain It is a Grey Partridge, thanks for the help.

Scott

Hi Scott :hi:

Just hope she doesn't come to live next door to me ;) (I suspect that there may be a little more to why the lady is moving!) I am all for feeding the birds but one has to use common sense.

Hope the dentist was gentle!

Glad to know I got the G Partridge correct and glad to hear you had another chance to look and check. Thats the way we learn. Keep it up.

Take care.

brianfm said:
Hi Scott :hi:

Just hope she doesn't come to live next door to me ;) (I suspect that there may be a little more to why the lady is moving!) I am all for feeding the birds but one has to use common sense.

Hope the dentist was gentle!

Glad to know I got the G Partridge correct and glad to hear you had another chance to look and check. Thats the way we learn. Keep it up.

Take care.

Hi Brian,
The dentist was as gentle as possible (I think)

Yeah I would agree that there is likely more to the lady getting an ASBO but you have to admit that the council giving the reason of birdfeeding is a bit strange, I am trying to get out birding either this weekend or next, hopefully back to Vane Farm or maybe back up moncrieff hill?

PS I will try to get some pics.

Scott

The case was on Reporting Scotland this evening.

Apparently she was whisked away by a television company.

D

Hi all,
I'm afraid it looks as if the birds are being used as a scapegoat here as there must surely be another reason for her having to move and causing all this fuss!! :eek!:
As Brian says I'm just glad she doesn't live next to me!!!! 8-P
Best wishes,

Hi Scott & All,
I think it would depend on the number and species of birds, and the location of the house etc. I don't think I personally would like to live next to a house that attracted such large birds in great numbers, as let's face it Pigeons and Gulls do make one heck of a mess! especially in confined spaces!
Good Luck with the birding this week-end Scott, will look forward to the pics.
All the best, Judo.

I agree....It sounds as if the council were acting on a load of neighbours complaints. May or may not have been using the birds as an excuse!

Hi Scott and all. I don't know how many birds she was attracting, personally I wouldn't really try feeding gulls in my garden...I'm sure they can find more than enough food elsewhere. That doesn't mean I don't like gulls landing on my roof from time to time, I hope they nest there actually.
Mind you, having a huge flock of pigeons and gulls regularly visiting your garden would be rather funny, especially if you wanted to annoy your neighbours :-O

It reminds me of a programme I saw once (it was in colour!) where they interviewed a woman who fed birds daily but got loads of complaints from her neighbours. She put out loads and loads of food, so much that the birds didn't eat it all but she put out more the next day, and didn't seem to clear up the mess either. She was totally unrepentant. Her poor neighbours couldn't make use of their gardens or put out washing to dry for fear of getting it dirty again with you know what.

(o)<

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back