• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forge 8X42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

I just wanted to say that they made a good glass here from an optical perspective (for the $$), the contrast is equal to the best, the focus wheel is better than the Legend M 8X42. I can see why many liked the Zen ray 8X42 also, very similar. It is a large glass so for those who want a Kowa BD II size in 8X42, it is out, if not, try one at the discounted prices this winter.

Andy W.

I agree, Andy.
The result in Allbinos‘ review was only semi-good, but I was positively surprised by the Forge 8x42.
Canip

I also like the optical quality of the Forge models. But focus takes some getting used to, at least on my 10x42s. The main issue for me is hand shake. They're a bit on the heavy side for handheld birding.

Yes the focus is backward, something I forget when I use the Forge and a few others. They are a larger glass and a bit on the heavier side than the average. The hand shake you mentioned may have more to do with 10X, perhaps try an 8X42.

Andy W.

Andy, I've used a pair of Legend 10x42 bins many times and didn't have the same shake issues. Since they are smaller and lighter than the Forge, that's why I think my issue is more about weight.

I did not think there was much of a difference with weight, but it is about 130 grams, so the Forge is a bit heavier. Truthfully I think these(Forge) were made more for the hunting sector rather than birding. The views through the 8X42 are very good for the price IMO.

Andy W.

You're probably right, Andy, about the target market. The color fits. I have another brand of 8x42s so not going to buy the smaller Forge. I got some tips on a more stable holding position, seems to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back