• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decline of woodland birds - deer problems? (1 Viewer)

hil5

The decline of woodland birds is now becoming worrying just as the past decline in farmland birds was. Report:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/action/lifeline.asp

Some of the problems are lack of coppicing and deer damage.

I was recently looking through a local bird habitat guide from 1990 and a lot of the bird species it claims you can find in nearby woodland aren't there any more. This is a space of time of just 15 years.

Report says:

'High numbers of deer, particularly the introduced muntjac, can change plantlife and remove the shrub layer on which many at-risk birds depend for nesting and foraging. It is essential that we try to prevent muntjac from colonising new areas like Tudeley.'

hil5 said:
The decline of woodland birds is now becoming worrying just as the past decline in farmland birds was. Report:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/action/lifeline.asp

Some of the problems are lack of coppicing and deer damage.

I was recently looking through a local bird habitat guide from 1990 and a lot of the bird species it claims you can find in nearby woodland aren't there any more. This is a space of time of just 15 years.

Report says:

'High numbers of deer, particularly the introduced muntjac, can change plantlife and remove the shrub layer on which many at-risk birds depend for nesting and foraging. It is essential that we try to prevent muntjac from colonising new areas like Tudeley.'

I wouldn't put all the blame on Muntjac, thats a bit too easy. I think theres more to it. Had Muntjac in this area for ages , i think its more to do with certian birds prefering certain trees and habitat thats gradually changing. When all the Elms finally went from here we lost , Nuthatch, treecreeper, coal tits, Lesser Spotted woodpeckers etc. Then the farm closed we lost alot or most of the songbirds and gamebirds. But we also gained new birds like greater spotted woodpecker, little owl, Hobby, Whinchats, parakeets .

markho said:
I wouldn't put all the blame on Muntjac, thats a bit too easy. I think theres more to it. Had Muntjac in this area for ages , i think its more to do with certian birds prefering certain trees and habitat thats gradually changing. When all the Elms finally went from here we lost , Nuthatch, treecreeper, coal tits, Lesser Spotted woodpeckers etc. Then the farm closed we lost alot or most of the songbirds and gamebirds. But we also gained new birds like greater spotted woodpecker, little owl, Hobby, Whinchats, parakeets .

Yes I agree. Think the issue of loss of woodland birds is a very complicated one to which I would guess no one really knows the full answer. The fact that much conifer plantation is to be replaced over the coming years with broadleaved species seems as though it could bring positive results for much wildlife, although a long term benefit. Sorry I won't be around to see the results. Even then, I suppose there will be species which loose out but having recently been around the forest of Kielder, Northumberland I do find conifer plantations so barren of birdlife. I think another problem is that we are so darned tidy these days. Maybe woodlands would benefit from a little less input from us humans! Think there are similar problems with local councils thinking they need to chop down anything that appears to be growing a little wild.

The problem with woodland management was an issue when I was into birdwatching 20 years ago. The main problem I think is loss of mature and mixed aged woodland. 100+ year oak trees cannot be replaced overnight. Coppicing is essential in creating an understorey. In my experience the difference between manged an non mangaed is mega. Personally I hate conifer plantations dark, dead, so artificial nothing like caledonian plus they help polluted acid rain kill bugs in rivers affecting dippers. Rip them up I say

Just thought I'd give you a perspective of this issue here in the northeast USA. - Many areas have high deer population and in those areas, it has been repeatedly documented that bird species diversity suffers as the ground vegetation is eliminated or simplified to only those species that the deer avoid eating. Often, it is difficult/impossible for tree seedlings to get above 0.5 meters in height as the deer repeatedly mow them off. Oak trees are especially favored for deer food, along with maples and ash. Elsewhere, only fern or grasses grow in the forest with many wildflowers repeatedly browsed to the point of exterpation.

The species having the most dificulty in this region are those requiring young forest, shrub or grasslands. Vast areas of abandoned farm lands have since grown into forests resulting in a lack of shrub and grassland habitat. Intensive agriculture practices on the remaining farms are often not bird friendly.

The State forests here have large areas of conifer pantations - often with Norway spruce and Scotts pine. Here, the plantations often add to species diversity by providing habitat for conifer dependent songbirds. Large blocks of conifers are lacking in the landscape without the presence of these plantations. They are now +/- 70 years old and as they are cut, they are being replaced by native hardwoods.

Also, I think the woodland management over here is a bit sloppier than what has historically taken place on your side of the ocean - much to the delight of our birds. :)

Also, I think the woodland management over here is a bit sloppier than what has historically taken place on your side of the ocean - much to the delight of our birds. :)
Management is sloppy indeed.
One look at the American West tells us that.
Roadless areas are getting roads and forests get cut to line the pockets of loggers.
Understand that I'm politically moderate, and by no means an environmental fanatic.

I prefer to follow proven studies, and the talk of introducing any species into an environment makes my skin crawl.
After habitat degradation, the introduction of invasive species ranks right up there in wreaking havoc for ALL of the native plants and animals.

Heartlander - To clarify my comments - By sloppier, I was referring to leaving greater quantities of standing snags and tree tops or dead/downed wood after logging is completed. Traditional European forest practices have stripped the forest clean of this material resulting in loss of habitat for birds & small mammals as well as loss of nutrients from the soil.

Most Norway spruce & Scotts pine in this region were planted in the 1930s - 40s by the Civilian Conservation Corps on abandoned farm pastures and fields. Yes they are exotic, but they are not invasive species. The Norway spruce is valued for construction lumber and paper pulpwood. Growing and harvesting it here is better than chopping down the boreal forest.

I am in absolute agreement with you about invasive species being perhaps the number one threat to native plants and animals in North America. Unfortunately, once an invasive speices from Europe or Asia gets loose in N.A., it seems to be just about impossible to eliminate it and billions of $ are spent attempting to control them. Emerald ash borer, hemlock wooly adelgid, asian long-horned beetle, sudden oak death, the list goes on and on and the future of native species does not look bright. :- (

On the topic of deer.. It really puzzles me that we have so many problems due to high deer populations in some areas, and yet we have no deer-hunting season when ordinary people can bag some fresh venison for their freezer.

Having spent some time recently in Michigan, USA, where their whole lifestyle seems to revolve around the deer-hunting seasons (bow, and gun), I am as puzzled as my Michigan friends as to why we don't allow this over here.

Or is it just that by paying professionals to cull the deer, all that lovely wild venison is lining the pockets of a few instead of being appreciated by many?

Any comments?
Rose

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back