• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavour ED II 10x42 vs. 8x42? (1 Viewer)

chris6

United Kingdom
I am curious about the well regarded Vanguard Endevour ED II 8x42 and 10x42 but can't try either of them locally. Apart from marginal differences in eye relief, and the optics for the different magnifications, they would appear to be the same. Comments from others who might have been able to compare them directly would be much appreciated.

On paper the fields of view are 126m/1000m for 8x42, and 114m/1000m for 10x42, while Albinos testing of 8x42 https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=278 showed the angleOV to be a bit less than the published figure, so presumably the 8x42 actually offers less than the 126m quoted. Moreover I believe that, somewhere, FOV is said to be very good for the spec of the 10x42, and below class average for the 8x42.

On the face of things it seems that the 25% greater magnification with 10x42 over 8x42 is proportionately greater than the reduction in FOV i.e. that the real size of the whole view/image would be bigger with the 10x42 model, so providing a 'better' view just for that?
and that this might result in a corresponding improvent in making out the details?

The possible differences in handing due to the ED II 10x42's smaller exit pupil and greater magnification are appreciated (although such differences had not seemed significant between e.g. Hawke OH 8x42 and 10x42) so would you comment about that?

It would seem harder to justify getting another pair of 8x binoculars with the same magnification and similar FOV as the smaller and lighter Pentax DCF ED 8x32, which I would be keeping.

Which still leaves 10x42 as a possibility, but think Typo has indicated that he found its view to be a bit less satisfactory than the 8x42 version, so would also be interested in more comments about that.

My short experience with the 10x42 left me with three impressions:
In bright circumstances it provides a nice image with nice colors and it handles glare well.
In average to low light the colors were not so spectacular anymore
I really didn't like the focusser. Very agressive and light to turn and since the d. o. field is smaller on the 10x, you overshoot rather easily. I think the focusser would be fine on the 8x.

My short experience with the 10x42 left me with three impressions:
In bright circumstances it provides a nice image with nice colors and it handles glare well.
In average to low light the colors were not so spectacular anymore
I really didn't like the focusser. Very agressive and light to turn and since the d. o. field is smaller on the 10x, you overshoot rather easily. I think the focusser would be fine on the 8x.
Synaps,

Thank you. That's interesting about the 10x and high geared focusser in relation to its smaller d.o.field, and I guess that with a light action of the focus wheel any play would at least be obvious, but also more annoying.

PS
Just spotted a relevant comment at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=344550.
The thread was about choosing from a list which happened to include Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42:-
...I found the eye positioning on the Vanguard 10x42 more critical with glasses than the 8x42...

Last edited:
Very helpful thanks again and those downsides of Endeavour ED II in the 10x42 version have put me off, when such compromise is not really needed just to get 10x.

So, for long views where FOV at only 5 degrees is less important, and for recognition in low light, have ordered Pentax DCF ED 10x50 at £639 from Amazon uk. The discussion of the Pentax 10x50 here including posts by Tammy (tammyhomma/Tamiji Homma) here/and at https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/97848-new-pentax-dcf-ed-range/#entry1290021 have also been very helpful.

I am using binoculars daily while sitting around for an hour or so, both watching my own pigeons and spotting other birds in the trees/bushes/distance. I guess eye relief of 22mm and 5mm exit pupil should make handling easy while providing a reserve for seeing colours and markings in low light on overcast days or in shade.

Albinos does seem to indicate that Pentax ZD series' coatings give a flatter curve, so brighter and whiter white than DCF ED, but best offers of ZD would have been a third or more extra on top, when I have been very satisfied with the older coatings in DCF ED 8x32, and its features generally.

It could turn out to be fossilized or re-issued but will see...

I am curious about the well regarded Vanguard Endevour ED II 8x42 and 10x42 but can't try either of them locally. Apart from marginal differences in eye relief, and the optics for the different magnifications, they would appear to be the same. Comments from others who might have been able to compare them directly would be much appreciated.

On paper the fields of view are 126m/1000m for 8x42, and 114m/1000m for 10x42, while Albinos testing of 8x42 https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=278 showed the angleOV to be a bit less than the published figure, so presumably the 8x42 actually offers less than the 126m quoted. Moreover I believe that, somewhere, FOV is said to be very good for the spec of the 10x42, and below class average for the 8x42.

On the face of things it seems that the 25% greater magnification with 10x42 over 8x42 is proportionately greater than the reduction in FOV i.e. that the real size of the whole view/image would be bigger with the 10x42 model, so providing a 'better' view just for that?
and that this might result in a corresponding improvent in making out the details?

The possible differences in handing due to the ED II 10x42's smaller exit pupil and greater magnification are appreciated (although such differences had not seemed significant between e.g. Hawke OH 8x42 and 10x42) so would you comment about that?

It would seem harder to justify getting another pair of 8x binoculars with the same magnification and similar FOV as the smaller and lighter Pentax DCF ED 8x32, which I would be keeping.

Which still leaves 10x42 as a possibility, but think Typo has indicated that he found its view to be a bit less satisfactory than the 8x42 version, so would also be interested in more comments about that.

I know this is an old post but there is an $80 rebate on them atm.

black crow,

Thanks. I did not pursue the Vanguard but the saga continued....

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 (nice wide clear view but focus free play: returned),
Orion porro Ultraview 8x42 (v.sharp with wide view: one of our daughters has them in Oz).

Along the lines of 10x I went for the following:-

Celestron porro Landscout 10x50 (ok but very stiff focus with big free play: returned),
Opticron DBA VHD 10x42 (very sharp, 'open hinge', smallish and lightish, nice build: still have them),
Pentax ZD ED 10x50 because I still enjoy my DCF ED 8x32 (ER 22, bright & pleasant to use but sharp<DBA: sold),
Pentax porro SP 10x50 WP (nice handling, good value, less sharp than ZD: sold),
Pentax DCF-BR 9x42 and SP 9x42 WP ('Open Hinge' nice view & light weight, good except build: both pairs returned),
Eden XP 10x56 (sharp and nice but green colours: returned),
Meopta Meostar B1 HD 12x50 (ER 15 is sufficient, Sharp++, Colours ++, heavy but steady enough for Excellent Detail)

Many thanks to the forum for the trip!

Attachments

• set of binoculars -.jpg
    set of binoculars -.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I bought a pair of 8s this week for an excellent price, but am returning them - the view was not as good as I remembered it to be when I last looked through them ( fine but not great ), the focus had some slack in it and the left exit pupil was badly truncated. I had thought of ordering the ED IVs, but the since they moved the dioptre wheel down the body, the focus knob is now too close to the eyepieces for comfort.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back