Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kestrel - Little Owl nest tolerance

Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 15:12   #1
Telephoto Paul

Kestrel - Little Owl nest tolerance

I've been watching and photographing a pair of little owls in the same tree for about six years. Sometimes they use a nest box I made for the farmer and some years they use a particular natural cavity. There's a second larger more open cavity in the tree that the young tend to like to hang out in between leaving the nest and being good enough fliers to leave the tree.

I've just discovered that there's a pair of kestrel young being raised in the open cavity (which is the opposite side if the tree to the owl nest box). Is it common for the two species to tolerate nesting in close proximity? Is there likely to be any conflict when the young owls leave the nest box?
Old Monday 1st October 2018, 17:03   #2
Homo sibiricus

I'v seen nests of long-eared owl and cestrel on a neighboring trees. Nests so closed as 3-4m. it is common situation in artificial strips of forests in Tyva republic in Russia because of deficiency of nests. It seems to me that owls and falcons was good neighbors - i've seen feathered nestlings of both.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: