• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Is This Bug? (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hello Forum!

I came across this bug last night sitting on a sunflower leaf on my front lawn. To my untrained eye, it looks just like a lady bug... in fact, it has a small patch of red pigment in a bottom corner of it's back. But, the rest of it looks almost gold. Anyone have any ideas? Is this a type of ladybug?

Attachments

• gold ladybug3.jpg
    gold ladybug3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 276
I couldn't say for sure, Tammie, but I would be surprised if it wasn't a ladybird/ladybug. It just looks right.

As for the red patch, I know some of our British ladybirds can be very variable, and I believe the offspring can show a mixture of features from both parents.

Hi Tammie.

The ladybird(bug) beetles are a distinct possibility but I wouldn't discount the very similar looking leaf beetles (family Chrysomelidae).

No, Colorado Potato Beetle has black-and-yellow stripes. And this isn't a ladybird proper either. I have actually seen these many many years ago when I was a bug collector, Tammie, but I cannot remember what it is any more, besides certainly being a Chrysomelid or related family... of which there are several hundred species at least! The irregularity/asymmetry of the reddish stain suggests environmental discoloration or individual aberration rather than any kind of affiliation or hybridization.

I believe the Steves have it this time, and that it's FamilyChrysomelidae, the Leaf Beetles, and specifically the Dogwood Calligrapha (Calligrapha philadelphica) common in your range: about 3/8" long with antenna half of or less than the body length; legs, antenna and mouth parts dark reddish brown (not black as in Ladybug). Hard to see but head and thorax dark metallic green, wing (elytra) ivory white marked with dark green stripes and spots that vary even within the species; and I tend to agree with Charles' last sentence about the odd reddish irregular spot. Anybody know that distinctive looking leaf he's on? If it's dogwood, basswood, elm then he's right at home, but they're found on other trees too.
-Steve B

Last edited:
Charles may well be correct with the discoloration element to the lower right of the wing case however, I seem to remember (why do I always seem to remember facts like this and now how much money I pay monthly for my car loan?) that certain species of leaf beetle can alter their colour dramatically by changing the refractive property of their elytra (wing cases) by hydroscopic means. Tiny droplets of water can be removed or replaced thereby altering the refractive properties of said wing cases. Phew!

Thanks Leslie. I thought it was quite pretty also. Steve B, it's not on a tree at all but sitting on the leaf of a sunflower in my flowerbed. And Steve Nova, ummm, yeah, okay. I understood every word!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back