• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Lotusman

Can anyone out there tell me what is the recommended eyepiece to use with a Skywatcher ED80.It was supplied with a 28mm LER eyepiece, is this of any use.I will want to connect it to a Nikon Coolpix 6000, what will be the thread be on both eyepieces .
I have the connector for the Camera already.

Alan

What sort of camera adapter do you have for connecting to an eyepiece?

I don't know anything about the Skywatcher 28mm and whether it has a thread or not.

Eyepieces that I have that are threaded are the William Optics DCL-28. This has a 28mm thread for attaching to a camera adapter. The eyepiece is 24mm focal length which gives 25X magnification on the scope.

I also have a Baader Hyperion 17mm which is also threaded with two different threads, 43mm and 54mm I think. These eyepieces are quite big and heavy though.

Paul.

Well, good taste Paul. I have 5 Hyperions for digiscoping. They have 33mm eyelens, 68 deg. field, and 20mm of eye relief. Have been said to compare with pieces costing 2 or 3 times as much. The 17mm weighs 384 grams. Are fine for the 80Ed. I have an Orion 80ED. It has the 2 inch focusing tube.

The SkyWatcher LER, called LET here is the states are fine for their intended purpose. I have 5, and four of them are going to my grandson for his Celestron 130SLT. They weight about 136 grams. I will keep the 2mm, just fantastic for star tests. I say they much better than the Epics, EdgeOn, and Expanse eyepieces.

The LERs in no way compare with the Hyperions, which have a wider field and much better view. They also fit the 2 inch focusers. Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back