• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly locations near Inverness (1 Viewer)

Is there any specific species you're looking for?

As already advised, the highland butterflies site is pretty good. If you're looking for a specific species, the Butterfly Conservation datasets on the NBN Gateway are reasonably up to date.

I've made it a goal of mine to see all the true scottish specialities this year. I'm off to Glasdrum NNR on the west coast this weekend, hunting for Chequered Skipper, and I've already got my locations and dates planned for the Mountain Ringlet and Scotch Argus hunts!

From Inverness I would think Spean Bridge would be closer for Chequered Skipper and if you fancy going further over that way Ariundle NNR on Ardnamurchan was brilliant for them last spring, as well as Ardnamurchan having Scotch Argus all over the place.

John

I realise my question was a bit like 'good birdwatching sites in the highlands'! As always best to get out there.

Some recent sightings

Ardersier
10 Dingy Skipper

Lcoh Garten
3 Green Hairstreak
- frustratingly through the glass at the Osprey hide.

Weather still good up here. Severely burn't yesterday so will try and get out later when it cools down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back