• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a Nikon Fieldscope EDIII (1 Viewer)

trealawboy

Can anyone comment on the merits or otherwise of digiscoping with a Nikon Fieldscope EDIII?

I'm in the market for a new scope and the smaller 60mm objective would suit my needs for birding, which would be the scopes primary purpose. I don't want to buy two scopes, and wonder how good the EDIII is for digiscoping.

I know the larger objective lens scopes are recommended for digiscoping, but the EDIII appeals to me. What would I be missing out on, digiscoping wise, if I opt for this smaller? How much darker are images going to be, and will shutter speeds be significantly slower?

Never had one but always loved them

I have used my kowa 613 which is very similar for digiscoping and it works fine with a 990. I imagine the EDIII will be fine too - maybe someone can comment who has one. Great little scope, light and optically top notch

I've been using an ED111A for a couple of years and it always impressed me as a small, very handy scope with a relatively big performance. The one thing that lets it down however, is its depth of field. It is wafer thin and this sometimes makes it difficult to focus.
I very recently fitted it with the new 30X digiscoping eyepiece and paired it up with a Nikon CP4500. On the whole the results have been less than encouraging and dispite trying several remedies. the output is still disappointing. I have been convinced that the lack of field depth with the consequential "iffy" resolving capability is to blame.
I have since connected the 4500 to a Swarovski ATS65HD and the results are considerably better.

My EDIIIA is the only scope I have used for digiscoping (using the old style 30w eyepiece & CP4500), so I am unable to offer a comparative opinion. I have invested in Nikon's rather expensive electronic cable release, which is certainly effective in reducing camera/scope shake (though for some reason it takes an age to 'fire up').

I think the EDIII is a superb little scope, though mine did not prove to be waterproof on a recent whale-watching trip. Thankfully no permanent harm was done to it, and I have since purchased Nikon's custom-made cover to protect it from the elements in future.

To get the best results from any 60(+)mm scope I suggest you need relatively good light conditions.

I have attached a sample shot. There are a few more in my gallery.

Regards
Graham

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 820
There was a recent Thread commenting about the waterproofness of Nikon scopes, your experience would be useful.

That is a very nice pic of what looks like a Solitary Sandpiper...did you see it in Brighton?

Grousemore said:
There was a recent Thread commenting about the waterproofness of Nikon scopes, your experience would be useful.

That is a very nice pic of what looks like a Solitary Sandpiper...did you see it in Brighton?
Afraid not Trevor - this was shot in Trinidad where T solitaria is a fairly common visitor.

Thanks for the info on the nikon scopes thread - I have just had a look at it and will be posting a message shortly.

Graham

This is a cute little scope, one of my favourites. IMHO, the best eyepiece for it / for digiscoping is the X24 Wide. With the CP4500 I can zoom 3/4 of the zoom range, and still not get vignetting. It is sharp, as the Leica Apo 62 and the Swarovski STS 65 HD. However, it has a bit CA in comparison to other scopes, but the amount of CA is acceptable. It's small, cute and handy. The sharpest eyepiece for it is the X15, but magnification is on the lower side.

Graham Osborne said:
I have attached a sample shot. There are a few more in my gallery.

Regards
Graham
A lovely shot, Graham. You've inspired me to get my camera out again! I have been practising my Photoshop skills and managed to lift the contrast in your shot quite a bit. I hope you don't mind me using it - I was just messing about and wanted to see what could be done.

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 587
yossi said:
This is a cute little scope, one of my favourites. IMHO, the best eyepiece for it / for digiscoping is the X24 Wide. With the CP4500 I can zoom 3/4 of the zoom range, and still not get vignetting. It is sharp, as the Leica Apo 62 and the Swarovski STS 65 HD. However, it has a bit CA in comparison to other scopes, but the amount of CA is acceptable. It's small, cute and handy. The sharpest eyepiece for it is the X15, but magnification is on the lower side.
I think the new MCII eyepiece has solved the CA on the ED models. I get none whatever with my ED82 and can recall none on an EDIII I've looked through.

scampo said:
A lovely shot, Graham. You've inspired me to get my camera out again! I have been practising my Photoshop skills and managed to lift the contrast in your shot quite a bit. I hope you don't mind me using it - I was just messing about and wanted to see what could be done.
I don't mind at all Steve - I think you have improved it.
Graham

Anyone tried nikon scope with Canon

Has anyone used a canon digital (I have A80) with Nikon field scope TF3. Scope tronix does not yet have the eye piece for nikon scopes, hence, I used a flimsy attachment, that I do not like, its via a T-Ring adapter.

I am not very impressed with the results even though I have the top of the line from Nikon field scopes at 60 mm, better than ED III.

Please reply.

Last edited:
I have exclusively used my -ED3 for digiscoping, usually with a 20X and sometimes with a 30XWA lens. I love the scope, and you can judge the digiscoping results for yourelf by searching the gallery for my name (rb_stern) and checking the pics I posted before this Summer, when I largely went dSLR. I was using the scope today, in pouring rain, looking at shorebirds and raptors. I posted a review of it here, under Equipment Reviews, a while back. I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Richard

Anthony Martin said:
I've been using an ED111A for a couple of years and it always impressed me as a small, very handy scope with a relatively big performance. The one thing that lets it down however, is its depth of field. It is wafer thin and this sometimes makes it difficult to focus.
I very recently fitted it with the new 30X digiscoping eyepiece and paired it up with a Nikon CP4500. On the whole the results have been less than encouraging and dispite trying several remedies. the output is still disappointing. I have been convinced that the lack of field depth with the consequential "iffy" resolving capability is to blame.
I have since connected the 4500 to a Swarovski ATS65HD and the results are considerably better.

I attended a talk last night by a chap showing photos he'd taken with an EDIII x24 and Coolpix 4500. I must say that, on the whole, I found the images somewhat disappointing. They were darker than I'd personally like, and somehow lacked any life or vibrancy. Could of course, be a fault of the photographer, and poor weather, but I'm certainly left with the view that this setup is not ideal, for the dull UK climate at least.

Back to the drawing board!

trealawboy said:
I attended a talk last night by a chap showing photos he'd taken with an EDIII x24 and Coolpix 4500. I must say that, on the whole, I found the images somewhat disappointing. They were darker than I'd personally like, and somehow lacked any life or vibrancy. Could of course, be a fault of the photographer, and poor weather, but I'm certainly left with the view that this setup is not ideal, for the dull UK climate at least.

Wow! I'd have to say that the Coolpix 4500 was not metering properly if the shots are too dark. And most people play with photoshop or something else to add vibrancy to their pics if contrast was low on the day of the shooting. I haven't digiscoped through my newly aquired III (not ED), but am very impressed with the scope I got for the money. I also use a Televue 85 with Nagler and Radian eyepieces, when I don't have to carry them far, and for me to like the Nikon in that company is saying something!!! ;)

trealawboy said:

He needs to learn to use PhotoShop by the sound of your description! Shots straight out of the can can be like that - they just need proper digital processing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back