• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird watching dalyan Turkey (1 Viewer)

Hi Ray,

Yes, it is at the East side of Fethiye Bay at the North end of the beach, do you normally have a car? If so as you drive through Fethiye heading West wirh the sea on your left Calis Beach is signposted and you should see the small reedy area to your left. You will turn left on the road and see a small sign to the reserve on the other side of the road. You will have to drive past to the next roundabout and park on the road close to the sign. It is a small lagoon surrounded by reeds wirh a few gaps to view through. The bay is also a good place to set up your scope as that's where many of the things I saw were.

October 2016 update
Sad to see the closure of the access to this site from the canal path and the removal of the wooden watch tower from the car park side. There is very Limited scope access from the restaurant car park. Only things I could see with the bins (low level viewing from the car park) were 10+ Grey Heron, numerous Redshank and a Little Egret :-C

Just to let people know I have updated the dalyanbirding web site

www.dalyanbirding.com

There are now 46 pages so some photographs, images and maps may take a short time to display on your first launch of the website. If you have previously visited the site the old web site will display until you refresh the the web page , when the new pages will display.

There 24 target birds pages and 13 birding sites with directions. Hope people enjoy and find helpful.

Agree, these photos and time suggest Marsh.

Any more pics?
I think your correct , what threw us off was it was about two miles away from the lake on a steep decent, flying very low to the ground very much in the style of a hen harrier with flash of white on the rump, quite a dark bird as well. But this photo I think confirms Marsh Harrier , what's the old saying " your looking at horses and seeing Zebras " :)

Attachments

• DSCN2784.JPG
    DSCN2784.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 7
I think your correct , what threw us off was it was about two miles away from the lake on a steep decent, flying very low to the ground very much in the style of a hen harrier with flash of white on the rump, quite a dark bird as well. But this photo I think confirms Marsh Harrier , what's the old saying " your looking at horses and seeing Zebras " :)
It looks like the very pale tail may have looked like a white rump at distance. I've turned Marsh Harriers into all sorts of things in the past!

Just a quick note to let everyone know I have updated the entrance fee for kaunos and Pamukkale for 2023

you can see the website www.dalyanbirding.com for more details .

Some of you may have seen recent posts saying you now need to apply for a permit/permissions to bird watch in Turkey , this is not the case for individual bird watchers and is more about organised tours and those who are birding in sensitive areas of Turkey.

Here’s a recent post from the facebook page Birding Turkey which originally reported birders been stopped and asked to show their permissions to observe.

Hello Everybody,

I researched the issue of paying the fees of independent observers in Turkey, which was shared on the site yesterday. There is no such arrangement for individual hobby observers and photographers. You can observe in TR with peace of mind.

The fee has been applied within the scope of regulation 4915 since 2005 for agencies that do this work for commercial purposes in only protected areas.

Besides, as in everywhere if you are harmed by nature or animals there will be penalities for you.

In that regard for further questions please call the official office of National Park in Ankara on the phone at 0090 312 207 50 00.

Finally I could say no fee for amateur, individuals wildlife observer or photographer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back