• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatches in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Just a quick heads-up for anyone who hasn't seen this intriguing little bird yet...

We visit RSPB Baron's Haugh in Motherwell regularly, and have been told that the Nuthatches nest in the neighbouring Dalzell Estate. Yesterday we thought we'd see if the rumours were true, and right enough they were in the exact location we were told they were in!

Their exact locations is here:

untitled-2.jpg

Map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=55.773508,-3.977019&spn=0.012238,0.027637&t=h&z=15

Well worth a visit to see them if you haven't before, made my day yesterday!

P.S. I know a few of the Lothian dudes have seen them too, any information on exact whereabouts that they can give may be handy for east coasters.

I notice that there have recently been reports of Nuthatch in Fife (at Elie) and at Invergarry in the Highlands. Hopefully they'll continue their spread northwards.

Supposedly they are well established around Dunkeld and there have been reports from Loch Garten and Morayshire. Surely only a matter of time before they reach Aberdeenshire. It's top of my garden wishlist! Well, maybe second only to Hawfinch, which is more of a possibility given that they occur five miles away!

They are becoming well established in Lothian. Roslin Glen(at least 3 pairs), Vogrie Country Park & Presmennan Wood are 3 of the most reliable sites-they were seen at over 20 Lothian sites last year

For Roslin Glen the easiest place to track down nuthatches is near Roslin Chapel. Walk past the chapel and the road curves to the right then forks in two. The left fork is a private road (Rosebank), so take the right fork into the woods. Just about 100 yards in you will come into a clearing and can see over to fields to your left. Wait in this area and listen and there's a good chance you will hear nuthatch calls. They're becoming harder to see as the trees are leafy now, but with patience you'll probably see one come down to eye level.

Another good place to go is the Gosford Estate by the SOC HQ at Aberlady, although you should get a permit from the estate office to walk around there.

Nuthatches are now well established in Midlothian and East Lothian - and there have been scattered West Lothian sightings although I haven't heard of any this year. It will be interesting to see how far they spread. The first known breeding in Scotland took place in 1989, at Floors and the Hirsel; it's taken 20 years for them to spread and establish this far. Also interesting to speculate why they have spread north and what other species might follow suit.

Last edited:
Another good place to go is the Gosford Estate by the SOC HQ at Aberlady, although you should get a permit from the estate office to walk around there.

Apparently they cost five quid, I have been in several times in the past and havent been stopped.

So go in and have a walk around, and if stopped play daft!;)

I saw these birds at Dalzell estate a few months ago. This is the first time I have seen them in Scotland. Good to hear that they are spreading northwards.

Attachments

• Motherwell.22-3-09. Nuthatch. 016.jpg
    Motherwell.22-3-09. Nuthatch. 016.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 261
Nuthatch

Around this time last year (October-November 2008) I had a clear and prolonged sighting of a Nuthatch in the Ardgowan Estate between Inverkip & Gourock on the Firth of Clyde!

What a beatiful wee bird eh.

I live in the area and have been out looking for the bugger ever since, but have never been able to see it again.:-C

Would this just have been a young bird looking for a territory?

I have read Nuthatch are fairly sedentary and stay in one place but I have not seen it in a year. I still think they must be in the area though even if in very small numbers.

Scope: Nikon Fieldscope ED82A 30x DS Wide, Bins: Leica Trinovid 10x32BN

Would this just have been a young bird looking for a territory?

I have read Nuthatch are fairly sedentary and stay in one place but I have not seen it in a year. I still think they must be in the area though even if in very small numbers.

They are generally considered sedentary but I suppose that where there is a significant range expansion going on (as there is in Scotland) pioneers must turn up beyond the normal range and not necessarily hang about there. I came across this intriguing record from Sutherland recently:

http://www.overscaighotel.co.uk/gallery.php?view=2

Having said that, a provisional atlas map that appeared on the BTO website a while ago suggested that nuthatches are established in Renfrewshire, so your bird is probably still about somewhere nearby.

If they are established in Renfrewshire then they are very close indeed.

Yeah I think they must be around somewhere as the habitat is ideal, ancient mature estate trees as well as a large area of wilder more natural woods.

Oh well I will keep searching:t:

I live in Fenwick, East Ayrshire and have one that comes for seed that my partner puts out on our window ledge, it's a lovely wee thing,had never seen one before. :-O

Regularly heard walking along the river at Jedburgh

Regularly come to the feeders at Killiecrankie NTS - the most northerly breeding birds I know of.

A report of one in a garden at Carr Bridge in Speyside this year

Gordon Hamlett - author of Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Regularly come to the feeders at Killiecrankie NTS - the most northerly breeding birds I know of.

I saw several around Soldiers leap area while looking for Wood Warblers earlier this year also had them in the garden of the cottage we were staying in down the road near Dunkeld (Dalguise I think it was) also had both Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker from the cottage.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back