• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron F-ED Pics (1 Viewer)

Many thanks - I think I'll be able to get better pics with the scope, rather than the SX30IS.

If the seller will use Royal Mail rather than a courier, then I'll buy the scope tomorrow.

This is about as good as I can get with the Canon hand held

jackdawtrim.jpg

David

Got busy with school stuff and just now finished giving finals. Now, maybe some time to play around more with this scope. I still like the results I'm getting with my Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with both the included zoom eyepiece and the Baader 17mm Hyperion. I'm attaching another example photo taken with this scope using the zoom eyepiece at 22X and the Panasonic FH-1 camera (about 2X zoom on the camera). Also, here is a link to a short video clip taken with the same equipment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAa-h_-72Hk. Will try to get more over the break.

Rick

Attachments

• bb_303.jpg
    bb_303.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
I've ordered the scope.

Hoping to get tomorrow or next day, and enjoy using it for a while while seeking more advice about getting camera and fittings.

Really want to get good pics of choughs, which are not uncommon round here, but so shy that even with my bridge cam at full zoom it's hard to get close enough. My best ones so far were taken in pretty heavy wind, and so even with the IS if my Canon there was too much camera shake.

David B

Another photo using the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED. I usually don't digiscope when light levels are so low (overcast day), but thought I would give it a try. As luck would have it the only thing I could find to test the scope on were Black Vultures. Great, black birds on a overcast day about 200 feet away across a paved road. Had to use ISO 800 on the Nikon D40 to get a shutter speed of 1/100 sec and did not have a remote shutter release. Post processed for levels, unsharp mask, and noise reduction. Lost some details due to high ISO and noise reduction. Gave it a go anyway and the results were not bad considering conditions.

Attachments

• blackvl_49.jpg
    blackvl_49.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 342
Another photo in better light. These little grass seed heads are about 2 inches long and were around 40 feet away. Looks real good to my eyes.

D40 + Nikkor 50mm f2.0 ai manual focus + celestron zoom eyepiece @ 22X
1/800 sec, 800 ISO, sunlight (should have dropped the ISO some...but), manual shutter release.

Attachments

• celestron_d40_50mm_f2.jpg
    celestron_d40_50mm_f2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 268
Finally found some test birds sitting still in good light, although farther away than I would like. These Rock Pigeons were perched about 150 feet away at the top of some stadium lights.

Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with Celestron zoom eyepiece set at 22X
Nikon D40 + Nikkor 50mm f2.0 ai manual focus lens hand-held to the eyepiece using a Vortex DCA (which doesn't fit) for loose alignment
1/200 sec @ ISO 800 manual shutter release

Some detail probably lost due to high ISO, but overall I just don't see much wrong with the way this scope performs.The image has been cropped from the 6mp original. The images are just as good as those I get with my Vortex Razor HD that cost me more than twice what I paid for this scope.

Attachments

• pigeons_27.jpg
    pigeons_27.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 305
Just got myself the Celestron Regal 80ED - first thoughts are that the optics are very good compared to my Nikon non ed class scope. But the weight is a concern, as i do a lot of walking when birding. I am now after the t ring/connectors for my canon dslr camera, so will probably be out taking a few snaps when they arrive and of course waiting for a bit of winter sun ;)

I do have a little compact that I used with my old scope and bins, this might work OK. Will have a play later :t:

Cheers Punt

The Celestron Regal 80 f-ed is 2041g or 4.5lbs which isn't too bad for an 80mm scope. It's only about 1.5lbs more than a magnesium alloy 80mm Swarovski for example.

Paul.

I suppose I have just got use to my Nikon RA111 at 1220g + the zoom EP on my Nikon is much, much smaller and lighter than the Celestron.

Have to be honest and say I have just had them both side by side on tripods in the my conservatory and the difference optically is not giving me the wow factor I first thought I would get with ED class.

Mind you the EP when zoomed out is so much better on the Celestron. :king:

Another pic using the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED and the bundled zoom eyepiece at around 40X. This Cooper's Hawk was about 40 meters away in my back yard a few minutes ago. Camera was Panasonic FH1 point and shoot connected to the eyepiece via the Vortex PS-100 adapter. Uncropped. Quite a distant shot and atmospheric disturbance as well as camera shake (did not use cable release) probably contributed to the image softness.

Attachments

• coop_882.jpg
    coop_882.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 336
My first go at digiscoping and I do SO hope I can improve. Using a 40d attached to my scope. I took a few with my compact as well, but they were so bad.
Photo taken in very poor light and in a slight drizzle. Not great conditions I suppose.

Attachments

• stonechat.jpg
    stonechat.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 291
I've had so much conflicting advice on digiscoping.

I went to a camera/scope dealer in Narberth today, and the owner was very helpful. Set up a universal adaptor and lumix fs15 for me in the shop, on my scope, and showed me that with a bit of zoom there was no vignetting, and a very sharp pic by leaving the camera on auto and focussing with the scope.

Bought both there and then. Could have got it a bit cheaper online, but helpful enthusiasts who have spent time and trouble providing advice should get the custom, I think, so bought there and then.

Hope there will be no objection to me giving him a plug.

http://www.westwalesbinoculars.co.uk/

Camera just finished charging, looking forward to tomorrow to set it up and have a go at digiscoping. I hear that a purple sandpiper is hanging around locally, within easy walking distance.

David B

This is not as easy as it looks.

Light poor, specially at first, but I've taken loads of shots from my window, of stuff like notices on harbour wall, and the sun gauge on the old tower, and haven't got anything that nearly passes muster yet.

Tripod horrible, so using 10 sec delay. Borrowing tripod on approval, hopefully later today.

Tried with AF on and off.

Recharging now, before going out.

Persistance is the key! I hope.

David B

This is not as easy as it looks.

Light poor, specially at first, but I've taken loads of shots from my window, of stuff like notices on harbour wall, and the sun gauge on the old tower, and haven't got anything that nearly passes muster yet.

David B

I'd say don't photograph from windows either closed or open. If a closed window then the glass will degrade the image, especially double glazing. If the window is open then the transfer of heat from the room to the outside will also degrade the image, you get a sort of shimmering heat that will show up in photos. Just a couple of things to help on your quest for better photos. :)

Paul.

I'd say don't photograph from windows either closed or open. If a closed window then the glass will degrade the image, especially double glazing. If the window is open then the transfer of heat from the room to the outside will also degrade the image, you get a sort of shimmering heat that will show up in photos. Just a couple of things to help on your quest for better photos. :)

Paul.

Thanks, the window was opened specially, and all my expensive heat went out.

David

Another shot with the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED. I still still think this scope does a great job for the price. This taken with the little $100 Panasonic Lumix FH1 point and shoot camera, which also does a respectable job.

Attachments

• coop_169.jpg
    coop_169.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 368
Still adding photos, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of others using this scope, or at least not many posting pics to this thread. Celestron Regal 100 F-
ED , Baader 17mm Hyperion Eyepiece, and Nikon Coolpix p6000.

Rick

Attachments

• tsw_3930.jpg
    tsw_3930.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 350
Rick, that last pic is stunning! Thanks for adding all the details in your narrative. It sure helps a newbie digiscoper like me.

Cheers!

I have to agree that the pics are beautiful. I don't have quite the eye of some of the more experienced digiscoping users here on the forum but I would be completely satisfied with that last pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back