• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

I visited early today at Dry Mill hoping to see a Dipper but all I saw was a pair of Grey Wags and after waiting 1 1/2 hours almost in the brook I gave up.
I must be visiting the wrong places.:-C

Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 100 005.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 100 005.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 34
Dipper

I visited early today at Dry Mill hoping to see a Dipper but all I saw was a pair of Grey Wags and after waiting 1 1/2 hours almost in the brook I gave up.

Keith, like you I have never been able to see a Dipper at Dowles Brook but I saw my first ever Dipper today at Nethy Bridge on Speyside in Scotland. I also saw my first ever Crested Tit in the same area. Not bad, 2 new species in one day :) Alex

I always find the 'Cooper's Mill' area of the forest reliable for Dipper. Hang around there for long enough and one's likely to fly past calling. :t:

Keith, like you I have never been able to see a Dipper at Dowles Brook but I saw my first ever Dipper today at Nethy Bridge on Speyside in Scotland. I also saw my first ever Crested Tit in the same area. Not bad, 2 new species in one day :) Alex

Hi Alex.....I had the Dipper at this spot last year (much later in year though) and after sitting in the one place for an hour one landed right next to me - too close....lol

Great to get new species and 2 in a day is really special.....I have only been up in that area once - in the last century and we stopped at Kincraig,in the forest next to Loch Insh.
I too had the little crested Tits and Red Sqiggle just out of the window.In the Loch there is a little Island right by the road and the Osprey nested there and you could see the young from the road and if you went into the graveyard up the back it was virtually on same level as nest - I never had a proper camera then though....typical.
Have a great time

I always find the 'Cooper's Mill' area of the forest reliable for Dipper. Hang around there for long enough and one's likely to fly past calling. :t:

Thanks...don't know where that is but as I said above I have had them here before and also at the place where the bridge got swept away a few years ago.
I have been going to the Dry Mill area as it's better to get to and easier for carrying all the gear up to..also later in year you get a lot of birds up the old railway and also butterflies.

Thanks...don't know where that is but as I said above I have had them here before and also at the place where the bridge got swept away a few years ago.
I have been going to the Dry Mill area as it's better to get to and easier for carrying all the gear up to..also later in year you get a lot of birds up the old railway and also butterflies.

Coopers Mill is the whitewashed cottage (now a camping centre) approx half a mile west of the mill on Dowles Brook. The little bridge just west of Coopers Mill (directly below the regular Wood Warbler spot at the cross tracks) is one of the best locations for Dipper. As with most birds in the Wyre the key is to go early before too much disturbance.

Thanks Phil...its all about knowing (and remembering) all the local names for places.........I have been going to Bittell since the '60's and only found out that the small pool next to Lower Bittell is called Mill Shrub.....lol.

Went on Google and found a good map with some of the names on.
It appears I have been quite close to Coopers Mill when I went to the bridge by Lodge Hill Farm in the Winter.
I DO remember seeing -and hearing-Wood Warbler in Wyre in the '70's.Must have been around here.
I have walked from both sides and never reached Coopers Mill - but have seen Dippers all along the Brooke.
Link..
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...2.380158,-2.378712&spn=0.025149,0.054846&z=14

Just been having a look on the Google map link from Keith. Does anyone know if there is parking down Tanner's Hill? It's the lane off left from Hop Pole Lane, Bewdley. The 'street view' camera only goes so far along it.

Just been having a look on the Google map link from Keith. Does anyone know if there is parking down Tanner's Hill? It's the lane off left from Hop Pole Lane, Bewdley. The 'street view' camera only goes so far along it.

There used to be parking for 1 or 2 cars but not parked that side for some years so no longing sure.

I was planning to take a trip over to the area this Sunday and would be very grateful if any of the regulars on this patch could confirm if the usual migrants have landed yet (Wood Warblers, Redstart and Pied Flys). I notice that Tree Pipits are around.

Thanks a lot.

This morning I walked along the railway path up to Coopers Mill then back along Dowles Brook. Highlight for me was a pair of Mandarin Duck along the brook. Summer visitors included 2 singing Wood Warblers, 2 male Redstart and 2 Tree Pipit. A Marsh tit was singing. There seemed to be good numbers of Common Lizard around and 2 were seen well.
I couldn't find any Pied Flycatchers so I may have to visit again, what a croc.;)

Will pop by definitely then on Sunday to see what I can see and if I miss out on anything then that is an excuse to call back - I will report back after my visit...

Hi Guys new to the forum I live on the edge off the Wyre forest and always down there with my Camera, I have spotted quite a lot off birds down there not so good on the names off them yet ;) But just a quick question has anyone seen any Kingfishers down there recently?

Cheers Joe Turner

A long 4 hour walk around the forest today:

Species seen:

Dipper, Wood Warbler, Cuckoo, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grey Wagtail, Jay, Swallow, House Martin, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pheasant, Buzzard.

Also had 2 Fallow Deer run down the valley, across our path, through Dowles Brook and up the other side.

Nice day but didn't catch a Redstart or Tree Pipit. Hopefully i can get back there soon!!

Cheers :t:

Mite off seen you down there Dave! I was also down there at 7am This morning I got some pics off :

Robin
Blackcap Female
Blackcap (Young)
2x March tit

Seen aswell :
3x Thursh
Chiff Chaff
Dipper 2x
Buzzard 3x
Sparrows and Goldfinches

Joe :)

A long 4 hour walk around the forest today:

Species seen:

Dipper, Wood Warbler, Cuckoo, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grey Wagtail, Jay, Swallow, House Martin, Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, Woodpigeon, House Sparrow, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pheasant, Buzzard.

Also had 2 Fallow Deer run down the valley, across our path, through Dowles Brook and up the other side.

Nice day but didn't catch a Redstart or Tree Pipit. Hopefully i can get back there soon!!

Cheers :t:

Last edited:
Hi Joe

What are Redcaps?

John

Mite off seen you down there Dave! I was also down there at 7am This morning I got some pics off :

Robin
Redcap Female
Redcap (Young)
2x March tit

Seen aswell :
3x Thursh
Chiff Chaff
Dipper 2x
Buzzard 3x
Sparrows and Goldfinches

Joe :)

This cold Morning:-