• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Robin? (1 Viewer)

Pertinax

Well I've never seen an immature Robin before but I have read in my Book of Irish brids that they have speckled breasts. This Robin had a strongly coloured red breast but with a speckled belly or underneath. The Robin was also big, bigger than most Robins I've ever seen. Was it a Robin, an immature Robin, a immature Robin growing up (wrong time of year for that?) or another Bird altogether?. I wasn't able to get a photo of it but I'll keep the camera by the windowsill in future...

Hi Pertinax - was the "Robin" thrush sized? Did you notice head or back colour?

I'm thinking possibly fieldfare. Conceivably redwing, some of which can have extensive russet on passage, nearly meeting in the middle. Another bird with red breast and belly streaking is stonechat, but if anything it's smaller than a robin and you'd probably notice its handsome head markings before anything else.

good luck,

Andrew

Well I'm sure it was a redwing now though it had a greater amount of red showing than the book illustrates. Even if I had familiarised myself with the description I'd probably still been confused. I hadn't seen one before, I get sort of overexcited when I see a new bird...

Cool. Have a look at the head markings in your guide. In winter, when redwings are most common in Ireland, the red is not so obvious, but the head pattern is a giveaway.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back