• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A warning about the ED 70-300 lens (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I am very impressed with my ED 70-300 lens and think it is a great lens for the money. However, I would like to give a 'heads up' to owners which might save them a bit of frustration and anxiety.

I was taking some photos today and then returned the camera to its case. When I took it out again to carry on shooting I discovered that it wouldn't autofocus. The manual focus was fine and everything else was working as it should. I checked all the camera settings and they were correct. I removed the lens and refitted it in case the contacts weren't mating correctly. I even changed the battery. It was all to not avail.

By this time I was becoming rather despondent and could see a large repair bill looming. I packed the camera away but then suddenly had a brainwave. I remembered that pointless Auto/Manual Focus switch on the lens, which I have never used. I checked it and, lo and behold, it had moved to the Manual position. I clicked it onto Auto and all was well again.

It might seem rather obvious in retrospect but, as I say, I have never used it and had forgotten it was there. If anyone else gets the same problem, do yourself a favour and check the switch first. I would have been very annoyed if I had abandoned the session and then discovered the solution when I returned home.

Ron

Ron, that happened to me once too. However, I will say that having the MF/AF switch on the lens is actually a great feature of the 70-300. There is no ONE-PUSH method to switch from AF to MF on the E-510 or E-520 cameras (probably same with E-410 and E420 too) unless you have the FN button assigned to that use. Otherwise, even using the dedicated button (on the arrow controls) requires at least several button pushes. This can be a problem when using it for macro work, where you want to avoid touching the camera as much as possible.

I have also had the same problem because I have the AF/MF toggle set to my FN button. I accidentally push it when I am handling the camera and then wonder why it is no longer focusing for me. So, one does have to be careful!

Ron, that happened to me once too. However, I will say that having the MF/AF switch on the lens is actually a great feature of the 70-300. There is no ONE-PUSH method to switch from AF to MF on the E-510 or E-520 cameras (probably same with E-410 and E420 too) unless you have the FN button assigned to that use. Otherwise, even using the dedicated button (on the arrow controls) requires at least several button pushes. This can be a problem when using it for macro work, where you want to avoid touching the camera as much as possible.

Not exactly an AF/MF toggle but you can set the AEL/AFL button to perform AF when the camera is set to MF.

I cannot find this option anywhere in my manual. What I can find is 4 "modes" of the AEL/AFL button, but from the way I'm reading it, the modes only allow you to kind of switch the AF function from a half-press of the shutter to a press of the AEL/AFL button. Is there some other option I'm not seeing? What you describe might be useful.

I cannot find this option anywhere in my manual. What I can find is 4 "modes" of the AEL/AFL button, but from the way I'm reading it, the modes only allow you to kind of switch the AF function from a half-press of the shutter to a press of the AEL/AFL button. Is there some other option I'm not seeing? What you describe might be useful.

On the E-510:
wrench 1 menu option-> AEL/AFL -> MF then use up/down arrows to select mode 3.

On the E-520:
wrench 1 menu option -> B Button/Dial -> AEL/AFL -> MF then use up/down arrows to select mode 3.

You guys seem to know a lot more about the E-510/E-520 than I do. Can you tell me whether it is possible to use the AEL button for manual exposure and if so how to go about it? I am guessing that you point the camera at the ground a little way away in ambient light and press the AEL button to get the exposure and then take the shot?

Ron

You guys seem to know a lot more about the E-510/E-520 than I do. Can you tell me whether it is possible to use the AEL button for manual exposure and if so how to go about it? I am guessing that you point the camera at the ground a little way away in ambient light and press the AEL button to get the exposure and then take the shot?

Ron

I think what you're referring to is exposure locking rather than manual exposure, which you would do by setting the camera to M mode. To enable exposure locking you need to go into the menu system and set AEL Memo to ON. IRC it's somewhere under wrench 1 menu. You also need the AEL/AFL mode set correctly. I think it's 1 for S-AF and 2 for C-AF. You can also specify which metering mode the camera uses when the AEL button is pressed. That's what the AEL Metering option is for. The default is "Auto" which really means whatever the camera is currently set to. Some people prefer to use Spot. It's down to personal preference really.

On the E-520:
wrench 1 menu option -> B Button/Dial -> AEL/AFL -> MF then use up/down arrows to select mode 3.
I have read the manual more closely and I see what you mean. The description of Mode 3 only says "for focusing with the AEL/AFL button instead of the shutter button," but in the accompanying chart, in the MF section, it shows "S-AF" when you hold the AEL/AFL button down. Interesting and might come in handy... Thanks for the info!

I was caught out by this very annoying switch again yesterday. After months of searching, I finally managed to find a Bearded Tit perched on top of a reed and reasonably close. I got the bird in the frame with a nice clear view, pressed the button and ... nothing happened. I tried again and with the same result. I then remembered the switch, checked it and discovered it had moved to the Manual position again. I put it back to Auto Focus but by that time the bird had disappeared, not to reappear.

I think I will have to tape over the switch to stop it moving, as I am sure I won't remember to check it every time I remove the camera from its case.

Ron

Maybe the problem is related with the case, Ron...
I think you are right Cristian. It catches on the inside of the case sometimes when I put the camera in. That is why I am thinking of taping the switch, as I never use it. I prefer to keep the camera in the shoulder case when I am walking about, as I don't have to worry about it getting scratched or knocked and it leaves my hands free for my bins. It's only a small problem but I was really annoyed to lose the Bearded Tit yesterday.

Ron

Why not use AF and MF together?

I too wondered about the usefulness of the AF/MF as it is possible on Evolt cameras to set the focussing method as AF + MF. This enables you to use AF most of the time but to manually focus just using the focus ring on the lens if the subject is too difficult for AF. works brilliantly for me on my E410 and my upgrade to E30.
I am very impressed with my ED 70-300 lens and think it is a great lens for the money. However, I would like to give a 'heads up' to owners which might save them a bit of frustration and anxiety.

I was taking some photos today and then returned the camera to its case. When I took it out again to carry on shooting I discovered that it wouldn't autofocus. The manual focus was fine and everything else was working as it should. I checked all the camera settings and they were correct. I removed the lens and refitted it in case the contacts weren't mating correctly. I even changed the battery. It was all to not avail.

By this time I was becoming rather despondent and could see a large repair bill looming. I packed the camera away but then suddenly had a brainwave. I remembered that pointless Auto/Manual Focus switch on the lens, which I have never used. I checked it and, lo and behold, it had moved to the Manual position. I clicked it onto Auto and all was well again.

It might seem rather obvious in retrospect but, as I say, I have never used it and had forgotten it was there. If anyone else gets the same problem, do yourself a favour and check the switch first. I would have been very annoyed if I had abandoned the session and then discovered the solution when I returned home.

Ron

I too wondered about the usefulness of the AF/MF as it is possible on Evolt cameras to set the focussing method as AF + MF. This enables you to use AF most of the time but to manually focus just using the focus ring on the lens if the subject is too difficult for AF. works brilliantly for me on my E410 and my upgrade to E30.
Thanks for that David. I haven't really tried AF + MF as I didn't realise that it allows you too use it as AF most of the time, just overriding with MF when required. It could be useful when trying to focus on a bird surrounded by branches or reeds. I will have a play with it.

How are you getting on with the E-30? I am quite tempted to get one of those when the price comes down a bit more. Moving to the E-620 from the E-510 seems like a bit of a sideways move, whereas the E-30 sounds like a step forward.

Ron

I use this all the time on my E510 and 50-200SWD. Works very well for me too.

Cristian, I assume your new lens hasn't come yet? Let us know what you think of it when it does. Mine is probably going to have to be returned to Olympus for a second time in the space of only about 4 months, as the zoom function is stiffening up again. I think this is something to do with the weather sealing, and I assume it's caused by a rubber seal becoming trapped between the inner and outer barrel of the lens. Last time it happened it gradually worstened until I could hardly move it. It was fine until about 3 weeks ago, but is getting worse again. A bit disappointing on a lens that now retails for £1000 here in the UK and is sold as a semi-pro grade lens. What professional could tolerate being without their main lens twice in such as short time, for periods of 2-3 week at a time? We will see how it develops, but I'm not optimistic it will cure itself, and with the butterfly and dragonfly season just getting started!

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back