• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Lanzhou, Gansu (1 Viewer)

Shi Jin

I'm off to Lanzhou this afternoon for a few days.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to go? (That's close to the city).

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if Xinglong Shan is too far away to be within reach, but I had a few good birds there is 1991 (will have to go home & check my notebook to tell you what though)

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike.

Jesper also recommended the same site, which he visited in 1989.

It's only one hour by taxi east of Lanzhou, so I decided to go for it...

And what a wonderful day it was.

The habitat is still in good shape and the bird activity was non-stop ALL day (from 2400 to 2600 metres asl).

... I'll post the notes asap (along with the photos I took - I luckily managed to get shots of everything, including male and female Crested Tit Warblers!).

Best regards.

Here the list of birds I saw at Xinglong Shan (Thanks to Jesper and Mike for the recommendation).

Grey-hooded Fulvetta (c60)
Eurasian Treecreeper (3)
Eastern Buzzard (1)
Rufous-breasted Accentor (c30)
Siberian Accentor (sev)
Elliot's Laughingthrush (c50)
Crested Tit Warber, male (2) female (3)
White-browed Rosefinch, female (1)
Chinese Nuthatch (sev)
Red-throated Thrush (few)
Songar Tit (c50)
"Crested" Coal Tit (1)
Grey-headed Bullfinch (sev)
Large-billed Crow (1)
Dusky Thrush (sev)
Little Bunting (1)
Great Tit sp (1)

ALL of the species were photographed.

I'll post the best shots to my website as soon as I can (and post the URL on this thread).

Best regards from Lanzhou!

Some lovely photos. Any habitat shots? it would be great to set some of these birds in context - and to see if it looks anything like the place I visited in 1991

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

Habitat looked very good... lots of primary conifer.

I had a 500mm lens on (which on the Nikon system is closer to a 700mm), so not much in the way of 'context" I'm afraid.

The place is so close to lanzhou that I would be surprised if there aren't wide shots on the various Chinese photo sites.

I'll have a look.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back