• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repairs (1 Viewer)

I know it was all my fault but I accidentally dropped my Leica APO 62 + zoom.
It was sent back to Leica on 17 MAY 2004, it took them a month to come up with an estimate of £493.50 and then on 2 August a further estimate of £88 for extra work. Although they have now withdrawn the extra charge I still do not have my kit back yet ... 15 weeks later !!
Am I just unlucky or is Leica service always that shoddy ???

Damn, that's rough! That's pretty close to replacment cost isn't it? Doesn't it have the passport/nofault warranty like their bins?

I'd try to get in touch with someone higher up. If they continue to stick you I'd tell them to keep it and shove it somewhere dark. And also let them know that you will inform everyone you know of their practices.

nick scarle said:
I know it was all my fault but I accidentally dropped my Leica APO 62 + zoom.
It was sent back to Leica on 17 MAY 2004, it took them a month to come up with an estimate of £493.50 and then on 2 August a further estimate of £88 for extra work. Although they have now withdrawn the extra charge I still do not have my kit back yet ... 15 weeks later !!
Am I just unlucky or is Leica service always that shoddy ???

A friend of mine had a scratch on a Leica Trinovid front lens and sent it to Leica via his dealer. Only 2 weeks later he get it back repaired without any costs. Are you sure your dealer had done everything correct?

Steve

Thanks for the replies
Sadly Leica do not do 'passport' scheme for scopes like they do for bins - too many idiots like me throwing their kit out of the pram !
The dealer I went to has done all he could to get things sorted - it seems most of the problems were between Leica UK (Milton Keynes) and HQ in Germany.
I will certainly be in touch with Leica direct, but I'd rather get my kit back first ... just in case!!

How much damage was there Nick? Were both the scope and eyepiece hurt?

(Sigh), maybe the extra price of the Swarovski is worth it for some insurance.

Bill Atwood said:
How much damage was there Nick? Were both the scope and eyepiece hurt?

Yes, both were damaged - eyepiece was dented so it wouldn't zoom properly and body was out of alignment internally, producing bad colour fringing.

(Sigh), maybe the extra price of the Swarovski is worth it for some insurance.

I looked at Swarovski (and others) before I bought and IMO there was do difference optically but I much prefer the focus on Leica.

nick scarle said:
Thanks for the replies
Sadly Leica do not do 'passport' scheme for scopes like they do for bins - too many idiots like me throwing their kit out of the pram !
The dealer I went to has done all he could to get things sorted - it seems most of the problems were between Leica UK (Milton Keynes) and HQ in Germany.
I will certainly be in touch with Leica direct, but I'd rather get my kit back first ... just in case!!
My Leica Televid 77 and Zoom eyepiece came with passports indicating that both items were fully protected warranty for three years. Seems to be either something wrong with the dealer where you bought the scope or did you not register the purchase?

Last edited:
Earlier this year I had similar problem with Kowa - I DIDN'T drop it, but an internal prism had sheared off. Sent it back and they found small dent at front end of sunshade and said it was clearly dropped and although in the guarantee period, billed me for similarly high sum as example above (despite several e-mails explaining the dent was from three years ago, the prism problem current - they said it must have taken three years to break off!!!)
Following that, my opinion of Kowa dropped!

Nick,

Is your 'scope not covered by your "house contents insurance" ?
Just a thought, and I hope if not, I am not adding to your woes.

Roger

rogerscoth said:
Nick,

Is your 'scope not covered by your "house contents insurance" ?
Just a thought, and I hope if not, I am not adding to your woes.

Roger

Yes, sure, I'm claiming off my insurer, so I'm not carping about the cost (although it does seem high when you consider the price of a new one) but the length of time it has taken to get it fixed has been really frustrating.

N

nick scarle said:
Yes, sure, I'm claiming off my insurer, so I'm not carping about the cost (although it does seem high when you consider the price of a new one) but the length of time it has taken to get it fixed has been really frustrating.

N

My experience in Switzerland has been considerably better with respect to time. However, moneywise, things seem pretty similar. I think Swaro are charging more initially in order to be able to provide more generous service over the life of their product. It may just be a different kind of philosophy as far as calculations are concerned.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back