• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest sell off petition (1 Viewer)

Apparently Eton Dave has withdrawn his support

Even better than that, Caroline Spielman ( Who she? She's the Environment Secretary ) has been quoted as saying that the govenment had " got this one wrong" and " the public and many MP's are not happy with the process ". (Probably in a little girly voice so the rest of parliament, and her electorate, wouldn't shout at her!)
'Oh dear. We can't do that as some people are not happy!' What's the betting they won't consider that when it comes to any other bloody policy.

Chris

Even better than that, Caroline Spielman ( Who she? She's the Environment Secretary ) has been quoted as saying that the govenment had " got this one wrong" and " the public and many MP's are not happy with the process ". (Probably in a little girly voice so the rest of parliament, and her electorate, wouldn't shout at her!)
'Oh dear. We can't do that as some people are not happy!' What's the betting they won't consider that when it comes to any other bloody policy. Chris

Prudent odds you're offering there, Chris, but it's 'Spelman' according to my local paper (Unless of course, I've missed your intended bilingual pun?), and 'girly voice' isn't quite her timbre in the Commons! I find it strange that I can spot others' typos, but often miss my own..

Keep on postin'
MJB

Prudent odds you're offering there, Chris, but it's 'Spelman' according to my local paper (Unless of course, I've missed your intended bilingual pun?), and 'girly voice' isn't quite her timbre in the Commons! I find it strange that I can spot others' typos, but often miss my own..

Keep on postin'
MJB

Puns! Me!! Never!!! As for her voice - come on, give the evil old harridan the benefit of the doubt ( unless she's been receiving benefit for more than 30 seconds, then sod her. Force her out to do a proper job at 25p an hour :t: )

Chris

Puns! Me!! Never!!! As for her voice - come on, give the evil old harridan the benefit of the doubt ( unless she's been receiving benefit for more than 30 seconds, then sod her. Force her out to do a proper job at 25p an hour :t: )Chris

Don't you just love disinterested and forensic analysis?
:clap::clap::clap:

MJB
PS Oops! Forgot they're doing away with the Forensic Services so that part-time politicians (who are full-time barristers) can keep Her Majesty's villains out of Her Majesty's Prisons

Potentially bad for wildlife. Do you think every private owner would manage land with the same priorities (and resources) as the Forestry Commission?

No, not at all. But then the FC's record on biodiversity is not great either. I know that they have done some good things recently, but to be honest and IMHO, in the grand scheme of things they are still playing catch up. Vast areas of our landscape are still scarred with ill conceived "for profit" forests that swallowed up some of our rarest habitats.

Some of the better forests are actually in private ownership. The fact is we can't get in there to see how good they are, but does that make them bad? Just because disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells can't walk their dog in Lord Melchett's estate doesn't make it a bad thing. Likewise, i think that public access is a great thing and should be cherished. I just feel that some issues have got muddled and confused with this highly emotional proposal.

No, not at all. But then the FC's record on biodiversity is not great either. I know that they have done some good things recently, but to be honest and IMHO, in the grand scheme of things they are still playing catch up. Vast areas of our landscape are still scarred with ill conceived "for profit" forests that swallowed up some of our rarest habitats.

Some of the better forests are actually in private ownership. The fact is we can't get in there to see how good they are, but does that make them bad? Just because disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells can't walk their dog in Lord Melchett's estate doesn't make it a bad thing. Likewise, i think that public access is a great thing and should be cherished. I just feel that some issues have got muddled and confused with this highly emotional proposal.

Couldn't have put that better myself.

Am also rather dismayed by how many people are quick off the mark to damn any suggestion the current adminstration makes as automatically bad and all about dirty, filthy capitalism just because it's the Tories, and that's what they do, right?

Whereas of course the other parties at large in UK politics in recent times, the (supposedly) working class parties, have such an exemplary record on all things environmental...

I give you Tony Blair's consistent use of greenwash to burnish his administration's record (and his own image); and the Labour government's abject failure to match Blair's rhetoric with on-the-ground results. Even Jonathan Porritt eventually turned on him.

Or Alex Salmond's presiding over the imminent destruction of the fabulous dune systems near Aberdeen, over-riding all reasoned environmental objections in pursuit of Donald Trump's honeyed (or should that be syrup'd? ;)) promises of vast economic benefit to Scotland.

No political party that's held power in the UK in recent decades has singularly shone as custodians or exponents of the environment. They all have bad (and some good) moments. The issues are rarely as black and white as people like to think they are. Take agri-environment policy as an example...

Point is, it's easy to criticise a political proposal and stereotype the men and women behind it. But being dispassionate, was the suggestion to put forests into private ownership (and often with stringent strings attached) actually such a very bad idea?

ce

......... was the suggestion to put forests into private ownership (and often with stringent strings attached) actually such a very bad idea?

When the selling off of publicly owned property for purely political reasons ( try as people might argue differently, that is the basal reason. An attempt by the Thatcher government also failed. ) is always a bad idea as the so-called 'stringent strings attached' are all too easily broken. Private business wouldn't be buying into anything it couldn't exploit to the full and any restrictions would be seen as an imposition too far. Another reason - purely for those that consider public ownership of anything to be anathema - the fact that those who have gone off to fight for the country - particularly in the 1st and 2nd World Wars, but also nowadays - were / are being constantly told they are putting their lives on the line for THEIR country and THEIR freedom. Neither of which is very noticable when large sections of the country are no longer THEIRS and there are 'PRIVATE' notices stuck up all over the show.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back