• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monsieur Rouget and "his" Rail … (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys!

"mb1848", good work! So he was Irish!? And quite well-known. Not unusual that Irishmen is called "Anglais" (even if they themself dislike it). That Irish John Bell apparently died in combat, in Ethiopia, in 1860. Good, that rules out the US Mr. Bell (I got a bit worried there!).

And, James, so I thought ... I was only fishing for some maybe unknown source that might, could have taken us a bit further.

And, "nartreb", you´re perfectly right about "they". I interpreted it wrongly. It sure was Ferret & Galinier who took those routes. Our poor Rouget was indeed dead. He did pass away in 1841. (Now I feel safe ;))

The sad part is that this doesn´t get us any further. I´ve already searched all my usual resources for October 15 and 1841 … with no luck.

I think I have to settle with not knowing the full Life story of Monsieur Rouget … meaning an entry something like this:

● Rouget's Rail Rougetius rougetii GUÉRIN-MÉNEVILLE 1843 a k a "Abyssinian Crake" or "Abyssinian Rail
… commemorate the almost unknown French naturalist, collector ("envoyé par le Museum de Paris") and medical Doctor Jules Rouget (xxxx-1841), that died the 15th of October 1841 (in his early 40's) of dysentery, in (or nearby) the small town Enticho, Abyssinia (in today's northern Ethiopia).

That´s it!

I don´t think we can get much further. Compared to what we knew from the start we´ve managed to add his first name and his actual Death. Not that bad. I think this will do.

Thanks everybody for helping out!

Rouget … over and out!

----------------------
PS. It was apparently quite a man-fall of French Messieurs in Abyssinia at that time ... the artillery Officer Schœfner died three days later, and the two other French gentlemen mentioned, "Dillon" (i. e. Quartin-Dillon) and "Petit"*, participating in yet another French Abyssinian Expedition, crossing paths with their colleagues in the Ferret & Galinier Expedition, also became, as it was called, victims of Science. (More of them in a future thread). For Quartin-Dillon's and Petit's Abyssinian Expedition see link (here)

*Not to be confused with the French naturalist Louis Petit (1856-1943), that collected in Congo in the 1870's and 1880's.

Last edited:
Nothing really new

The Eponym Dictionary of birds claims:
Rouget's Rail genus Rougetius Bonaparte, 1856
Rouget's Rail Rougetius rougetii Guérin-Méneville, 1843
J. Rouget (d.1840) was a French explorer who collected in Ethiopia (1839-1840).

And..

Rougetius Bonaparte, 1856 OD here

According here died by dysentery in Addi-Hallala. When and where he was born still a mystery. Same as here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back