• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies (part 2); ...the end of the beginning (1 Viewer)

Could the author be Борис Петрович Уваров (1888–1970) here?
He was an entomologist and I see no suggestion he did anything about birds...
In Dement'ev & Gladkov, the name appears (under Prunella modularis modularis L.) as:
Синоним. Prunella modularis belousovi. Уварова. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), 1950, Сев. Урал.
= "Synonym. Prunella modularis belousovi. Uvarova. Avifauna of the Basseg mountain range, its ecological and zoogeografical connection (summary), 1950, Northern Urals."
If the author's name was "Уваров" ("Uvarov"), then "Уварова" ("Uvarova") is a genitive case. Genitive is sometimes used to indicate authorship in Russian (as it is in Latin), on book covers for example. But elsewhere, D&G cited the name of Russian authors in the nominative. For example, on p.81, under Muscicapa striata neumanni Poche, you see:
Синонимы: Butalis grisola var. pallida. Зарудный. Птицы вост. Персии, 1903, стр. 363, вост. Иран.
= "Synonyms: Butalis grisola var. pallida. Zarudny. Birds of eastern Persia, 1903, p. 363, eastern Iran."
"Зарудный" ("Zarudny") is a nominative case; the genitive would be "Зарудного" ("Zarudnogo") in modern spelling, "Заруднаго" ("Zarudnago") in pre-1918 spelling (this is how it appears [in the work that D&G were citing]).

I see no good reason why they would have opted for a genitive in the case of "Uvarov", but not elsewhere in similar situations.
(There is perhaps a possibility that they did not do it deliberately, however, having just taken the name as it was written on the work, not knowing if it was nominative or genitive.)
"Уварова" ("Uvarova") can also be a nominative, but then it will be feminine.

Last edited:
In attachment a list of references to works by the same author, taken from p.142 of Иванов АИ. 1992. Птицы СССР. Библиографический указатель. 1946-1970. Часть 2. [djvu]

Your last reference is to a "диссертация" (dissertation), dated 1949; the reference given by Dement'ev & Gladkov is to a "автореферат", a summary of a work written by the author himself, which she would then presumably (?) have published in 1950. Ivanov lists neither; the references he gives are from 1955-1963, which might be consistent with an author having graduated around 1950.

Attachments

• Uvarova V Ya.png
    Uvarova V Ya.png
    67 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
She is mentioned in this current document about the Basegi state nature reserve: http://www.basegi.ru/o-zapovednike

"Его созданию предшествовали многолетние экспедиционные исследования. Изучением флоры и растительности хребта Басеги в 1934-1944 годах занимались Игошина К.Н. Так же здесь побывали участники комплексной экспедиции АН СССР в числе которой были известные орнитологи Воронцов Е.М. и Уварова В.Я."

Which I believe describes her as a "well-known ornithologist".

"Махач-Кала, Ассоциация Северо-Кавказских горских краеведческих организаций" is the editor, I think; I've seen it elsewhere cited as just Махач-Кала or as a single word Махачкала.
"мягкая обложка, Увеличенный формат" = paperback, large format. from Laurent and Bjorn about Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin. I think Махачкала is the capital of Dagestan Makhachkala in English. Ассоц.С.-Кавказских Горских Краевед.орган is I think a journal, Ассоциации Северо-Кавказских Горских Краевед.орган , which means Association of the North Caucasus of Mountain Kraeved.organ.

is the editor, I think
I guess I meant "publisher" ("éditeur" in French...), rather than editor, sorry.

I think Махачкала is the capital of Dagestan Makhachkala in English. Ассоц.С.-Кавказских Горских Краевед.орган is I think a journal, Ассоциации Северо-Кавказских Горских Краевед.орган , which means Association of the North Caucasus of Mountain Kraeved.organ.
It's definitely a book (see attached pic).
Still trying to learn bits of Russian grammar, hence I am certainly not infallible in this domain. ;) But, in my understanding:
- "Махач-Кала": if this is a city, this might certainly be the location of publication (I initially interpreted it as the name of the Association, but I can certainly have erred there; note that this doesn't actually appear on the book's cover).
- "Ассоциация" = Association (nominative singular)
- "Сев[еро]-Кавказских горских краеведческих организаций" = of the North-Caucasian mountain local organisations (all words in genitive plural; the last word [-ий ending] is a first-declension noun, all the others [-ских endings] are adjectives that qualify it).

Attachments

• Ptitsy Severnogo-Kavkaza.jpg
    Ptitsy Severnogo-Kavkaza.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
In the page you posted, the English text appears to be a translation of the preceding Russian text.

And Makhachkala is certainly a city, its Wikipedia page states that it's the capital of Dagestan. You see its name split into two words, I think, because it parses as two words in the local Turkic languages such as Azerbaijani.

You see its name split into two words, I think, because it parses as two words in the local Turkic languages such as Azerbaijani.
According to Wikipedia:
As part of the Soviet revolution, place names relating to monarchy or religion were changed, and thus on 14 May 1921, Petrovsk was renamed Makhachkala, after Dagestani revolutionary Magomed-Ali 'Makhach' Dakhadaev.
Makhachkala is Mahaçkale in Turkish; with "kale" meaning castle, tower, fortress, bastion, stronghold. (Ditto for Mahaçqala and "qala" in Azerbaijani.) So, it certainly parses very well as these two words, indeed.

Last edited:
According to russian national library Уварова В. Я. = Uvarova, Vera Yakovlevna but dissertation seems not to be found.

Last edited:
Regarding Trischitta's Alcune nuove forme di uccelli italiani (1939)... I've got it!!

See forthcoming post (later today, or tomorrow) in thread: Antonino P. Trischitta (1892-1966), here.

●Mathews, G. M. 1910-1928. The Birds of Australia. Vols. 1-12. London.
1915 Circus assimilis quirindus Mathews, Vol. 5, p. 23

[here]:
What the South-western birds are like I am unable to decide, but those from the North-western I separated subspecifically, and the characters of that form seem to be fairly constant. I state this as so far my experience has been that nearly all the members of this Order are variable, and while a few specimens can be easily determined, a larger number makes subspecies very uncertain quantities. The differences in size between the sexes, the plumage changes and the time these take, and the continual moult, all serve to complicate the attempted separation of these birds into subspecies until the personal equation becomes omnipresent.
According to my examination the birds from Celebes and the northern islands differ in their very slatey-blue backs and throats, and upper chest with very little spotting, and this bluish colouring pervades the colouring of the lower breast. I propose to name this form
Circus assimilis quirindus, subsp. nov.​
to draw attention to my results.
So "quaerendus" because in his view it was a rare and sought-after case of valid subspecies of raptor?

Interestingly, Ireldale, a frequent co-worker of Mathews, used the same name for a mollusc: Ximene quirindus Iredale 1914 [here], in a context in which he was very uncertain about which name had to be used, and giving as explanation:
I consequently propose the above name for the Neozelanic shells, and thus obviate the introduction of an erroneous name into the Neozelanic list.
This one looks more like a mistake for inquirendus to me.

Last edited:
Wow, Mark! (y)

That casual, just incidentally, by the way; "Here is a snippet of OD of nataliae and amaliae" (in the amaliae thread, here), suddenly we (also) find the decicatee of/in nataliae (in post #6, backed up by Laurent in #9–10).

That's a publication/person we've been searching for (see post/s #1, 27–28, 46–50, in this thread) ... all the way since 2015!

I'm impressed! 🎖️

Björn

Last edited:
Interestingly, Ireldale, a frequent co-worker of Mathews, used the same name for a mollusc: Ximene quirindus Iredale 1914 [here], in a context in which he was very uncertain about which name had to be used, and giving as explanation:
I consequently propose the above name for the Neozelanic shells, and thus obviate the introduction of an erroneous name into the Neozelanic list.
This one looks more like a mistake for inquirendus to me.

Yet more evidence that Iredale ghostwrote most of Mathew's works - as many have suspected and Iredale admitted on his death bed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back